Looking to buy spare Level 1 charger - would this work?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

My wife and I are LOVING our FFE. Just got it less than a month ago, we live in NYC. I'm very happy with the Level 1 charger - we rarely put more than 30 miles a day on the car, and even if we do, it's parked in the driveway from 7pm to 8- or 9am every day, so it works nicely for us. I'd like to buy a spare to keep in the car, though, since I've rigged and housed this one and it isn't very portable now. Nothing permanent, just not easily stolen.

Ford wants about $550 for their Level 1 charger. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, does anyone know if this would work? It's almost $200 cheaper.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2011-volt-battery-charger-cable-110v/23106561-p-820.html

Thanks for any help or guidance!

The Chevy 110V EVSE meets the same J1772 standard, so it should work. One thing about the newer Chevy 110V chargers is that they revert to a lower (8 amp IIRC) setting each time you plug it in and it must be manually changed to charge at the higher amperage. The early ones had some quality issues and even a soft recall replacement program. I believe there are higher quality 110V units available (Nissan's comes to mind), but they are significantly more expensive.

I've got both a Volt and an FFE. If you need me to verify that the Chevy charger (mine is 2011 vintage) works on the FFE, send me a PM.

Interesting. I did try my Volt's 110V EVSE on the FFE when I came home this evening. Short story is that it did not work.

The 110V EVSE flashed continuously when plugged in to the FFE as did the FFE's charge ring. The car never started charging. I have used this unit to charge the Volt many times, and did verify that it would charge the Volt today using the same 110V outlet. It is very possible that the newer Volt 110V EVSE's will work, I have never had mine replaced under the recall.

Clipper Creek also has a level 1 charger but they want $595 for it, so I guess the Ford charger is an okay deal

Back