Long Trip, 120mi

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magudaman

I am headed down to Laguna Seca in Monterey, CA and it turns out it is about 120mi from my house! I am deciding if I want to do it in one day or stay the night someplace to charge and enjoy some nice location. Also I am concerned with finding charging along the way despite seeing all these charge points.

Who has had some long range experience and can give some good suggestions?

Going to be coming from Concord, CA . I was thinking about charging in San Ramon at my work for a bit before making a larger stretch south.

magudaman said:
Going to be coming from Concord, CA . I was thinking about charging in San Ramon at my work for a bit before making a larger stretch south.
I would plan on two charging stops. I would be very surprised if you can make it with only one.

And certainly you will not be able to charge only in San Ramon and then make it all the way to Laguna Seca (that's over 100 miles on the freeway). You will need to charge somewhere else between. The Gilroy Outlets may be a good choice (but even that may be pushing it coming all the way from San Ramon).

I drove from San Jose to Carmel once in my FFE and barely made it. That was 70 miles. My route was 101 -> 156 -> 1. I drove at speeds ranging from 55-65 mph. I had one passenger and some light luggage.

So I did some planning tonight and I think I will leave from Concord and head down the to Fremont Target (44 mi). They have a ton of charging stations there and I can find something to do for 2 hours. Then I will hop back in and head to the Santa Cruz mountains about 45 mi. There is a RV and tent place I want to try to get a spot at to charge and crash for the night. With a full charge it will be 54 mi down highway 1 and then off to Laguna Seca for the race on Sunday. Getting home is going to be more painful but I have to work on Monday.

Have a little treasure map along with you so you are certain you get enough charge at each stop.

Treasure map - I mean how many miles between each charging stop (maybe even alternatives). From your last stop before the race, you'll probably want to count round trip to the next charge station. More than likely a 100% charge.

Give yourself a cushion to reach each stop. If you have to get 100%, if the charging slows down near the end, count that time in.

Getting home might be easier than you think. If you need two or three hours of charging - go to sleep. Remember the car is awesome to sleep in since you can leave the AC and music on while plugged in.

This might end up being the most relaxing trip you've ever made.

Double check your math. I've done a couple of stupid mistakes with charge times. The most recent, I only had 20 miles range left when I got to the hotel, and I had no idea where I was getting my charge the next morning (turned out the hotel let me use a 110V outlet overnight).

Have a great time.

If you figure out how to make the trip easily - July 20 is Refuel - an all electric car event at the track.
http://www.refuelraces.com/

My only word of advice is be certain of the voltage on the charger's that you are destined for. The POI and sites like plugshare.com list both 110V and 220V stations. Sounds like you got a good game plan though, have fun!

Back