Lighting Issues and Door Lock Issues?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlufferMew

Hi!

So I've had my Ford Focus EV for about two and a half months now. I've had no issues at all so far until tonight, and I haven't been able to find any info dealing with the same issue, so figured I'd post here. :D

Basically what happened was, when I turned off my car and got out, when I tried to lock the door with touch, nothing happened. Also, the charge ring light, and mirror lights, and a few of the interior lights were still on. They weren't turning off. I checked to make sure I turned off the car, I turned it back on, then off again, but no luck. The exterior and interior lights weren't turning off completely and I couldn't lock the door using touch, I had to use the key. So I went back in the house to put my stuff away and came back out to plug in the car so it wouldn't die overnight. But after I got my cord out of the trunk, the problem magically fixed it's self. The lights tuned off, and I could lock the doors using touch now. Very strange, and yes I'm positive I had the trunk closed properly before opening.

So has anyone else experienced this problem before? Or does anyone know what could possibly have caused this? Should I be worried at all? I'm giving my dealership a call tomorrow to take it in for a basic diagnostic to be sure. But figured I'd look for information online as well.

I have had my Focus for about a month and am usually unsuccessful locking the car with touch. Unlocking is not a problem, but locking is very hit and (mostly) miss. I use the remote to lock just to be sure. As far as the lights go, how long is the delay set before they shut off? Is it possible that you restarted the car before the delay timed out? I assume that shutting off the car the second time would reset the delay. Was there anything different this time that would cause you to notice the lights where you might not have before? All of the electronic stuff is nifty, but having it all work, every time, seems to be more than we can expect.

Oilman

FlufferMew said:
when I turned off my car and got out, when I tried to lock the door with touch, nothing happened. Also, the charge ring light, and mirror lights, and a few of the interior lights were still on. They weren't turning off. I checked to make sure I turned off the car, I turned it back on, then off again, but no luck. The exterior and interior lights weren't turning off completely and I couldn't lock the door using touch, I had to use the key.
I hate to be simplistic, but did you make sure ALL your doors, including the liftback, were closed completely? What you describe is exactly the behavior an open door would cause.

The car will not lock if a door is ajar. Further, all the lights stay on if a door is not closed. If this happens again, and all your doors are closed, it might be a faulty door switch not working correctly.

And the touch lock button will only work if the keyfob's transmitter (?rfid) is detected in proximity. The door detectors' read zones seem pretty finicky, whereas the rear hatch is more forgiving. When I touch the lock/ unlock zones without success, I can always get it to work by leaning left/ right/ forward closer to the car (key is in pocket). I'm sure it looks ridiculous but it works.

unplugged said:
The car will not lock if a door is ajar. Further, all the lights stay on if a door is not closed. If this happens again, and all your doors are closed, it might be a faulty door switch not working correctly.
This is good advice.

Same thing happened to me once (car would not lock via remote) until I realized the hatch was ajar. I figured I must have inadvertently activated the "pop hatch" function via the remote without realizing it.

unplugged said:
I hate to be simplistic, but did you make sure ALL your doors, including the liftback, were closed completely? What you describe is exactly the behavior an open door would cause.

I'm pretty sure this has to have been the issue considering the problem disappeared after getting something out of the trunk. It's just unusual because I didn't open the hatchback before that, and didn't have the problem. So maybe it just opened a little while driving. Going over a bump maybe? Anyway, I suppose it was just a one time fluke. :D

dmen said:
And the touch lock button will only work if the keyfob's transmitter (?rfid) is detected in proximity. The door detectors' read zones seem pretty finicky, whereas the rear hatch is more forgiving. When I touch the lock/ unlock zones without success, I can always get it to work by leaning left/ right/ forward closer to the car (key is in pocket). I'm sure it looks ridiculous but it works.

Yeah, luckily I've never encountered problems with unlocking or locking the doors excluding this one time. I keep my key in my purse, which is level with my waist, which is just about level with the door handle. Super convenient for me! I agree, the key definitely has to be close, but certainly something I don't consider an issue. :)

Speaking of stubborn doors though, it took me forever to get used to the door covering the charge port! I'd love to see a more practical design for that on future models.

FlufferMew said:
Speaking of stubborn doors though, it took me forever to get used to the door covering the charge port! I'd love to see a more practical design for that on future models.
So, personally, what do you find impractical about it?

I think the design is unusual, but just press and it pops open, press again and it closes. I used to think it was weird I had to "grab and turn it" to close it, but then I realized that I was doing it wrong: It is designed to simply be "pressed" closed. When I realized that, it became more easy to use. I kinda like it.

Admittedly, it is a little finicky about staying closed... or so it seemed. But, really, I think that was more me just forgetting to close it... it stays closed 99% of the time for me (no that I always remember to close it). ;)

WattsUp said:
FlufferMew said:
So, personally, what do you find impractical about it?

I think the design is unusual, but just press and it pops open, press again and it closes. I used to think it was weird I had to "grab and turn it" to close it, but then I realized that I was doing it wrong: It is designed to simply be "pressed" closed. When I realized that, it became more easy to use. I kinda like it.

Admittedly, it is a little finicky about staying closed... or so it seemed. But, really, I think that was more me just forgetting to close it... it stays closed 99% of the time for me (no that I always remember to close it). ;)

Well the fact that I had to do a little research to see how exactly to close it seems silly. I guess you could blame that on air-headedness, but seems a little overly complex for no benefit other than style. When I first got the car, I had to try multiple times to get it to stay closed, but that was because I was holding the whole door and trying to swivel it back in place myself. Now that I get that it's supposed to be push to open and close, I don't have that issue anymore, but it's still stubborn about closing sometimes. And in general it feels a little flimsy.

FlufferMew said:
Well the fact that I had to do a little research to see how exactly to close it seems silly. I guess you could blame that on air-headedness, but seems a little overly complex for no benefit other than style. When I first got the car, I had to try multiple times to get it to stay closed, but that was because I was holding the whole door and trying to swivel it back in place myself. Now that I get that it's supposed to be push to open and close, I don't have that issue anymore, but it's still stubborn about closing sometimes. And in general it feels a little flimsy.
I get what you're saying, and I agree. It could have been a bit better implemented.

I hate the door covering the charge port for 1 reason: I keep forgetting to close it. I get to my destination, do my business and then return to the car to find the charge door open. It should default to the closed position when nothing's in it or at very least give you a warning light on the dash board. Or maybe have the charging unit deliver an electric shock to the owner if he unplugs the unit and doesn't close the door within, say, 5 seconds. I think even I'd learn to close the door if it did that...

Just kidding.

Don't worry... I used to forget a lot at first as well, and always find the charge door "mysteriously" left open. It's probably something to do with the higher frequency of recharging versus refilling (with gas). After all, most gas doors don't have the features you mention.

But, now, I rarely forget and, guess what, I hardly ever find the charge door left open. ;)

I had trouble locking the door when i first got my '13 FFE. but while watching the help videos on MyFord.com I noticed the person just placing there thumbprint on the black square located on the door handle and not grabbing the door handle while doing the touch sequence . now it locks every time. Try this, should help.
I think grabbing the door handle confuses the computer into thinking you are going back into the car and not trying to lock it.

My door locks work fine, after developing some techniques:

1. Fist bump: Very reliable, either with the front of the fist like you're punching someone in the gut, but very softly to avoid injury to yourself. Or you can use the pinky side of your fist, like you're rapping on the front door of a log cabin after being locked out in subfreezing weather, but not that hard.

2. Hip check: Also very reliable. Not like in hockey; more like that '70s disco dance called "The Bump". Works great when your hands are full.

3. Butt cheek: Actually upper thigh, depending on how tall you are. Works okay. Seems to take longer to lock. Rarely used since the hip check works so well.

4: Pelvic thrust: Haven't tried it. I park my beloved FFE in the driveway. Don't want to scare the neighbors, or get arrested, or worst of all, go viral on youtube.

The only discovery I have relative to door locking and unlocking is be sure that the FOB is close to the car when you try to unlock. There were many times where the door would not unlock when I would try to open it. I didn't really understand why. The dealer said that it was thermal and I had to keep my hand on it awhile before it would unlock. That actually worked some of the time, but I did not believe it. Now when it doesn't work, I realize the FOB is in my pocket furthest from the car. I simple change in my stance and it works everytime.

As for the charge door....I still, on occasion, forget to close it. When I notice after arriving at my destination...I feel like I walked across a ballroom full of people with toilet paper stuck to my shoe. I think if it were more involved, or if the electricity would leak out if it were not closed, I think there would be less occurances of leaving it open. But yes, I wish it were either automatic or a light displayed on the dash..."charging door ajar". I was thinking of putting a small mirror on the side of my garage door so I could see the charge door as I backed out into the driveway. I also thought of putting in a detection circuit, but it isn't easy to gain acces to the charge connector on the backside.

davideos said:
The only discovery I have relative to door locking and unlocking is be sure that the FOB is close to the car when you try to unlock. There were many times where the door would not unlock when I would try to open it. I didn't really understand why. The dealer said that it was thermal and I had to keep my hand on it awhile before it would unlock. That actually worked some of the time, but I did not believe it. Now when it doesn't work, I realize the FOB is in my pocket furthest from the car. I simple change in my stance and it works everytime.

As for the charge door....I still, on occasion, forget to close it. When I notice after arriving at my destination...I feel like I walked across a ballroom full of people with toilet paper stuck to my shoe. I think if it were more involved, or if the electricity would leak out if it were not closed, I think there would be less occurances of leaving it open. But yes, I wish it were either automatic or a light displayed on the dash..."charging door ajar". I was thinking of putting a small mirror on the side of my garage door so I could see the charge door as I backed out into the driveway. I also thought of putting in a detection circuit, but it isn't easy to gain acces to the charge connector on the backside.
Now that's a new one: the key fob is "thermal." You have to wonder where these guys get this information. This just, once again, confirms my warning, never trust a salesman.

I was leaving the parking lot the other day, and the attendant reached out and closed my plug door. Very embarrassing. Not quite like a guy reaching over to zip up your fly, but close.

For it to work best, the fob must be within 3 feet of the door handle. There are two seperate sensors on the handle, one on the inside of the handle to unlock the door; and the black "square" on the outside to lock the door. If you put your hand through the handle and push the black square, the car will default to unlock.

If 3ft is the required range, then the body may interfere...that what I've noticed. For instance, if I approach the driver's side from behind with the FOB in my left pocket and I open the door with my right hand, sometimes, the door doesn't unlock. If I turn and face the car, then it will open. That's not the exact scenario, but you get the picture. Anyway, it is no big deal. Otherwise, the feature is great.

Back