Keeping the windshield frost free

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

In the cold freezing weather you are forced to either crack open the window, or run the defrosters to help keep the windshield clear. Unfortunately running the defrosters causes a major reduction in range. To minimize the range reduction requires reduction in power usage. I found out by setting your climate control to the following configuration uses the least amount of power, and keeps the windshield frost free. This will not clear a heavily frosted windshield, but will help keep frost from forming on the inside of the windshield.
Defrost1_zpse7f5464a.jpg

This is the energy usage with the climate control on.
Defrost2_zps55a088ae.jpg

Lately I've been experimenting with just cracking the window. Trying to see the minimum I've needed to crack the window to keep the windows clear and not freeze myself.

Both yesterday and today I just barely cracked the window, less than 1/8" open, right when I started out (after preconditioning the car to 85F). The results have been most satisfactory: Very little fogging (only just above the driver's side door) and not enough cold air intruding into the car to cool it down that fast. I estimate that after a commute of 30 minutes the temp inside the car was in the upper 50s to lower 60s still. Yesterday's outside temp here was 14F and today's was 16F.

jachady said:
One other tip, keep the inside of your windshield extremely clean. That gives less things for the micro water drops to cling to.
What do you recommend for cleaning the windshield? I've used Invisible Glass to try to clean ours but it still has so many streaks that when the sun is low in the sky you practically can't see out the windshield. You can also see the streaks when there's fog because it forms along the streaks.

The thing I have found that works best is - brown napkins from fast food restaurants. I don't use any liquid, unless theres a real nasty spot. Then just plain old Windex. But I use it very sparingly.

I found this article: How to Make Your Own Anti-Fog Glass and Windshield Spray
http://www.ehow.com/how_10042_make-own-anti.html

You can make an inexpensive anti-fog glass spray to keep your bathroom mirrors and the inside of your car's windshield fog-free. This solution keeps condensation from collecting on these surfaces.

Things You'll Need
Lint-free Cloths
Window Cleaner
Bowls
2 ounces white vinegar
1 quart hot water

Instructions
1. Pour 2 ounces of white vinegar in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add 1 quart hot water.
3. Dip a clean, lint-free cloth into mixture.
4. Lightly wring out cloth.
5. Wipe mirrors and the inside of car windshields with cloth.
6. Allow to dry.

NightHawk said:
Thanks.

I wish articles like this would explain why vinegar keeps the glass fog-free.

Or, it is just that it cleans the glass really well, preventing micro water droplets from adhering?

I've always wondered that too.
WattsUp said:
NightHawk said:
Thanks.

I wish articles like this would explain why vinegar keeps the glass fog-free.

Or, it is just that it cleans the glass really well, preventing micro water droplets from adhering?

Back