Keeping charge cord from getting stolen

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerstrokeNC

So you are out and about and want to charge your vehicle "in public" you have found a convenient outlet, now how do you stop some passer by deciding to make off with your $500 charger? Seems like we need a way to "lock" the plug onto the car....

Anybody else encountered this?

As is often the case, security is unfortunately an afterthought. This likely won't be solved until it actually becomes a problem (i.e. EV interest grows high enough that chargers actually become a valuable item to steal).

Most likely the answer will be: "Use the public charging infrastructure". Because at that future point when EV's become popular enough, the charging infrastructure will also have expanded to the point where you don't need to use your L1 charger anymore.

WP

The best method I've seen is to run the cable under the front wheel of the car (e.g. park ON the cable).

Thus the car would need to be moved to steal the cable (of course this doesn't prevent someone from using bolt cutters to cut off the end of the cable to get the connector).

Yeah, do something like drive onto the cable (a little tricky after you've already "parked"), or possibly use a padlock (which probably won't require you to re-park).

To use a padlock, loop the charging cable through the "U" of the padlock and then lock it to something like a chain-link fence or nearby pipe. The person intending to steal your EVSE will have to cut the charging cord, making the stolen item much less valuable.

I use a bike lock, the cable is about 4 to 5 feet long. I string the cable through the charge cord storage hoop and then around or through some fixed object. Works as long as the fixed object is close to the outlet.

I have opened the hood and loop the cable so the latch on the hood "locks" on cable.

I make sure the cable runs in and out the front of the hood, since the gap between the hood and the grill is a bit wider than on the side of the hood. This keeps from possibly damaging the cord by parking on it, wire insulation is durable but the Higher pressure in the tires of the focus may eventually wear it down.

Of course this takes up a bit of cord length. The two rubber stops are helpful in placing the cord without it getting caught in the latch.

Back