Is there anyway to tap the power in the main battery?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonySpice

I had an idea ...

:idea:

Could the power in the main battery be tapped to say ... jump start the 12v battery if it dies?

Seems like I've got a ready power-source there to get around the 12v flat battery issue.

Sure if you want to explode your 12V battery by putting 325V across it...not a good idea.

There really is no way to tap into it.

There are several manufacturers (Nissan, BMW) who are developing two-way chargers in the car to make use of the battery to power a building (Nissan's tech center in Japan charges a bunch of Leafs during the night when it is least expensive and then uses that power to run the building during heavy demand times to reduce electricity costs).

Bill said:
I believe NASCAR race cars have two batteries and if one fails during a race the driver flips a switch to run from the backup battery. Perhaps Ford (or FFE owners) needs to install something like that in their FFE.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting everyone get two 12 volt batteries in their cars? Otherwise, as mentioned, the main traction battery is not compatible with a 12 volt battery or a 12 volt system.

Seems like it's fixed. I know when I got my 2014 in November I had the dealer check the TSB for the battery issue. They said all was well but I convinced them to drop in a new battery anyway. So far so good.

JMueller is exactly right - the 12V battery issue is solved. I had the problem, the 12V battery on my car went flat three times. After they applied the TSB for the 12V battery (not the SSN recall, but the TSB released before that recall), the battery has never gone flat again. I've left the car plugged in for three or four days without driving it. Never a single problem with the battery after the TSB was done.

A second 12V battery is hauling around wasted weight.

I think you see so "many" problems with the 12V battery because people haven't had that repair completed.

Bill said:
Are you suggesting everyone get two 12 volt batteries in their cars?

That is what I would do, if it was at all possible, install a second 12 volt battery in the car. I was very close to leasing a FFE early this summer but the SSN issue scared me away. Now that the SSN issue seems to be solved, another big issue seems to be the fact that the 12 volt battery fails for what seems to be any number of reasons. Installing a small on-board battery charger might help, but until the battery issue is resolved, a second backup 12 volt battery would make me feel more confident. I've seen other posts on here from folks that have thought about carrying in the trunk one of those portable battery chargers. I'd rather just flip a switch instead of going through the standard jump starting routine.

Bill - did you end up leasing the FFE? Where would you install the back-up battery? I don't see much room in the "engine compartment", could it be placed in the passenger area and a wire run through the bulkhead ... did you discuss with the dealer? My concern is something like this would invalidate the warranty.

TonySpice said:
Bill - did you end up leasing the FFE? Where would you install the back-up battery? I don't see much room in the "engine compartment", could it be placed in the passenger area and a wire run through the bulkhead ... did you discuss with the dealer? My concern is something like this would invalidate the warranty.
Bill offered this suggestion prior to learning that the 12 volt battery issue was solved. I don't think anyone should have a need to place another 12 volt battery in the FFE.

For long time storage over 30 days the manual recommends disconnecting the 12 volt battery. Using a battery charger for this type of application is not recommended. What should be used is called a battery maintainer. A battery charger outputs a higher voltage and will slowly boil away the batteries electrolite. A battery maintainer will charge the battery then switch off. When the battery voltage drops the charger then switches back on.

Back