Is the Ford Focus Electric a good first car?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyguy_6153

Ok so I will be driving next year and I mightbe purcpurchasing a FFE, is it a good first car? Range shoulshouldn't be a problem since my school is only about 5-10 mins away.

Depends on the insurance company. If they include the FFE in the same classification as the regular Focus then no, and it will be expensive.

If they put the FFE into an EV class then yes it will be less expensive, maybe. A lot of insurance policies are based on the price of the car and since the FFE does cost more than the regular Focus its insurance may be more--it all depends on the insurance company. Your best bet is to get some quotes.

skyguy_6153 said:
Ok so I will be driving next year and I might be purchasing a FFE, is it a good first car? Range shoulshouldn't be a problem since my school is only about 5-10 mins away.
Are you planning to buy new or used? If I were you, get a used car first. Younger kids tend to get into more accidents. If your parents are buying you the car, ask them to buy used and use the rest of the money on college tuition so you won't have much debt when you graduate.

Since the price of the Nissan Leaf dropped so much recently, you can get a used Nissan Leaf for less than $9,000. The 2012 Leaf SL are the best bang for your buck.
Some links you should read. https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/want-cheap-reliable-car-consider-used-nissan-leaf-193000585.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098554_should-i-buy-a-used-nissan-leaf-or-another-electric-car

Don't worry about insurance prices, I think the gas savings will be higher. Will you have a place to charge at home or at school? And how much is your electric rate?

Student debt is out of control. My friend has about $300,000 of debt vs $30,000 for me. I drove a 10 year old car, went to in-state for undergrad and grad school, lived in a $600/mo apartment, worked during the summer. Would you rather finish school with a $30,000 debt or $300,000 debt? I paid off my debt the first year, my friend is doing income-based repayment so he has to pay for 20 years.

Ya, I plan to buy a used FFE for around 16,000. I wouldn't mind getting a Nissan Leaf, but I'm not really a fan of it's design :p.... that and I'm a Ford Guy :D. I plan to charge it home, I might charge it at school, but I'm in the 12th grade, last year of high school, so someone might come unplug my charger XD. As for moving out, I just got a job at a supermarket that pays 8.05 an hour. Plus, there are plenty of apartments in Tallahassee (I live in Florida) for around $300-400. I'm also doing my first 2 years of college at TCC, a community college.

Elektra said:
Student debt is out of control. My friend has about $300,000 of debt vs $30,000 for me. I drove a 10 year old car, went to in-state for undergrad and grad school, lived in a $600/mo apartment, worked during the summer. Would you rather finish school with a $30,000 debt or $300,000 debt? I paid off my debt the first year, my friend is doing income-based repayment so he has to pay for 20 years.
These are excellent words of advice. I lived at home during college and got lots of credits through PSEO and other courses while in High School so I was able to finish my degree in 3 years. I only had about $11k in student loans when I graduated and they were all paid off in less than 6 months. Since then I've been able to save for the future and spend on things like an EV rather than being stuck in debt.

I generally suggest that new drivers get an older car because there is risk of minor accidents until you get more experience. By the same token, I got my daughter a new ICE Focus when she needed a first car and she kept in in pristine condition.

If you are only driving a few miles a day, there is little to be saved with an EV. It pays off best for people who drive considerable distance and save lots of gas.

The biggest reason to NOT buy an EV is that you will never know the misery we all have experienced dealing with gas stations. They are smelly, often crowded, and they usually treat you poorly. I think young people should share the experiences we had. What fun is it being able to simply plug in at home, always having a car ready to drive?

Seriously, though, the FFE has been a very good car, very well equipped and comfortable. Mine has been trouble free and inexpensive to own.

michael said:
I generally suggest that new drivers get an older car because there is risk of minor accidents until you get more experience. By the same token, I got my daughter a new ICE Focus when she needed a first car and she kept in in pristine condition.
Speaking of accidents, I would think that parents would want their kids to have a fairly modern car, if at all possible, not some old clunker simply to save a few bucks "in case of a minor accident". What about a major accident?

The FFE is an excellent choice for anybody, younger or otherwise, with its 5-star safety rating.

Yes, I agree, not an obsolete car, but also not one so nice that a parking lot crinkle becomes a big financial hardship. That's the kind of things that young drivers often experience.

Back