Is Ford going to sitck with the EV or not?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjam3 said:
And honestly, if Tesla does make a car for under $40K that is just as nice as the Model S, none of these other companies are going to be able to compete. At least not with what they have now.

With the FFE being a already produced ICE with EV stuff stuffed into it and costing $40K+ Tesla will never stoop to those levels. The build quality of the Tesla is many times better than the FFE. Just open and close the doors, then look around. A Tesla for $60k would be doable but will be along the lines of the BMW (whatever that thing is called). It won't be possible to make a Model s or X near $40k when they pack nearly $20k to 35k in battery in it. Remember a model S is 60 or 85kW battery and only giving about 2 times the range, and is way heavier than the FFE or other EV's.

Being Ford seems to be marketing the new Solar Powered C-max energi whereas they pretty much don't even market the FFE at their own dealerships and haven't done much to the car since they started building them, I don't know. It really seems Ford has no desire to do much with the FFE while they have a lot of interest in doing things to the C-Max and Fusion energi.

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...s-cmax-20140102,0,3740173.story#axzz2pITw58iv

pjam3 said:
It really seems Ford has no desire to do much with the FFE while they have a lot of interest in doing things to the C-Max and Fusion energi.
Of course, they have all (or most?) of the positive buzz of eco-friendly/modern electrics (good for Ford) and all of the cash-cow ICE maintenance revenue (good for dealers).

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ford-solar-car-ces-cmax-20140102,0,3740173.story#axzz2pITw58iv
Nice idea, but I don't think it is very viable. The concentrator is a good idea, but likely more expensive than solar panels themselves. If they used a thin film solar array on the car and perhaps some slide out panels to tripple the surface area, then maybe.

I'm sure Ford markets the hybrids and energy products more because they make more money on them. I think they will continue to work on pure electrics, but also for all the reasons pjam3 mentioned on a different thread, the market for a 70mi electric isn't that big. If we do see an update to Ford's FFE, I'll bet there will be a significant range improvement...at least 120 miles (Hyundai and Toyota will have/have that) and improved cabin heating.

Anyway, nice to see more ideas for the green machines.

Now here is an interesting Ford video:
http://www.livestream.com/Ford/video?clipId=pla_54041b5a-4bc2-47f6-b43d-714a4217d04d&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Not about 1 minute in the slide says: "BEVs" as in plural..? Ford planning MORE battery only vehicles??
Also note that its 6 months old...

The Ford Focus Electric will be around for a long while, along with additional EV models being added.

Ford has more investments in battery technology than any other auto manufacturer to date. Here is just a bit of what Ford had to say about their battery powered vehicles:

"Ann Arbor, Mich., Oct. 14, 2013 - A new $8 million battery lab opened today at the University of Michigan that will help Ford develop batteries that are smaller, lighter and less expensive to produce. The work could accelerate development of battery-powered vehicles that are more efficient and affordable than today’s models and that go farther on a single charge."

What confuses most is that fact that the first gen Focus Electric, C-Max and Fusion Energi models are more like live market testing.

Ford 'stuffed' battery packs into current production ICE vehicles as well as can be done, and put them out in the market place to see how the consumers react. For the Focus Electric, the plan all along is low distribution and reduced risk. Meaning that with smaller distribution, if something went wrong that took a while to resolve, fewer consumers would be impacted. The 'Stop Safely Now' issue is a prime example. But as most have already noticed, as soon as that was resolved, a big $6,000 Cash Back was offered in the purchase price.

Nissan didn't do this, but made a huge investment in a new platform, then had issues with the unprotected battery pack, resulting law suits and additional battery capacity warranty. Clearly, anyone who knows anything about EVs would never actually 'buy' a Leaf with that ongoing battery issue. Which hurts the long term value of the vehicle, and why the Leaf has the lowest residual value of any vehicle....period. Sales of the Leaf have been at a loss and will continue to be for a while. Which is why now Nissan and Renault are scrambling to launch a hybrid and plug-in hybrid to try and bring in some revenue. Currently they are using the battery rental plan as a revenue generator.

Also, limited distribution allows Ford time to get more dealerships up and running to service and support electrified vehicles. Remember, these are dealerships that have ONLY had ICE vehicles to work with and service for years, and mechanics had to be retrained, and have time to gain some experience with electric vehicles, before an onslaught of vehicles came at them. Ford is still expanding their Electric Certified Dealers nationwide and allowing those service technicians time to gain some experience with the Focus Electric and Energi models. Many FFE, Energi and Hybrid owners have encountered dealers and service technicians that seemed to be less 'educated' about the electrified vehicle owner was. It takes a bit of time for this to change, and it seems Ford is using this first gen of electrified vehicles for that purpose.

Which is why it is with much anticipation that I await the arrival of the 2015 Focus Electric refreshed model. It is not expected to change the place meant of the battery, but may allow for more use of the current battery to at least 85 miles of range, along with a Combo Charger. But with an updated exterior and interior design, it allows the Focus Electric to be fresh again and with a lower sale price, more than ready to confidently compete with the best in the compact class.

Then there is the expected 25EV mile Focus Energi, and expected update for Fusion and C-MAX Energi to 25 EV miles also. Hybrid models already got a power boost with the latest software update that's included with the 2014 models.

The next EV from Ford is a 300+ mile next gen, all aluminum Lincoln MKS Electric MY2017, that will compete direct with the Tesla model S, but with much nicer build quality inside and out.

The next gen Focus has production start 1st Qtr 2017, C-MAX is 2018, new Fusion is 3rd Qtr 2018. And a Fiesta EV Concept is testing now. All with the focus of no battery intrusion into the cabin, underbody battery storage for EVs, and more powerful battery packs, sharing platforms for lower cost to consumer.

So yes, I think Ford will still with the EV......because EVs are the future.

Wow. Sounds awesome... for clarification, is this entirely speculation? You give a number of specifics that suggest you work for Ford or know someone who does or something. Either that, or you're really good at making a guess sound official! In any case, I suspect that you are right that EVs are the future, and I sure hope Ford has a plan such as the one you outlined. And that they successfully carry it out!

nallgaier said:
Wow. Sounds awesome... for clarification, is this entirely speculation? You give a number of specifics that suggest you work for Ford or know someone who does or something. Either that, or you're really good at making a guess sound official! In any case, I suspect that you are right that EVs are the future, and I sure hope Ford has a plan such as the one you outlined. And that they successfully carry it out!

Hey.....no don't work for Ford. But have a few resources/production schedules/employees I use for data. Also much is based on what Ford tells us in press releases and interviews that put the pieces together. Ford contacts don't give many 'details' but tend offer enough to connect the dots.

Something else that's interesting is that Tesla stated that other automakers can 'invest' in the SuperCharger network to allow their cars to charge up. But until now, no other auto manufacturer has an ev that needed Supercharging. Which is why the rumor is that the next gen Lincoln MKS which will be all lightweight aluminum(Model S is all aluminum), may offer a 300+ mile Electric model to compete with Tesla Model S.

Then remembering that Ford just recently registered for the Model E trademark, months after Tesla registered for the same Model E trademark. The question was why would Ford do that, when Tesla already has the trademark. Then Musk talking about how much better Ford's aluminum manufacturing process is than Audi's and that they have much to learn from Ford, which started the conversation about Ford and Tesla teaming up or Ford just buying Tesla, since they got rid of Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin and Mercury brands, and has $24Billion in cash.

I am sure we will hear more of this by end of year.

Keep in mind, though, Ford is committed to supporting the J1772 CCS standard:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998392/electric-vehicle-j1772-combo-ac-dc-port

Granted there are, like 2 of them installed across the country today! LOL The new car could be like the Leaf: have a hatch that shows two connectors (J1772 CCS and Supercharger).
Yup...maybe two:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11210358.htm

Back