Interior LED light upgrade

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recomended a backup lamp replacement to use Super Bright LED WLED-WHP10-TL cool white.
timthumb.php

Regarding turn light's rapid blink, one needs a 6 ohm (50W) resistor in PARALLEL with the LED. The resistor will draw 2 amps which in my thinking negates the advantage of replacing bulbs to LEDs. For now... if/when the bulb burns out I might as well replace it. btw have replaced all other rear bulbs with LEDs- just ensure that you are buying smd technology (not the gen1 BB like LED design). Next on the list are dome lights...

Aloha All. I am changing all my interior bulbs and backup bulbs to Philips OE led bulbs for a 5000k light. I understand this is negligible energy, but the different colors of white light bother me so I am changing all the white lights (except vanity) to the closest color (at least they seem) to the HIDs and license plate leds.

To the point, the thing that still really bothers me is when you open the doors the dome lights, puddle lights and ambient lighting come one, but the ambient lighting assumes the color your chose not the white light it gives off when you press the all lights button in the overhead buttons. Is this something that can be adjusted or am I going to have to fight my OCD on this?

Moolelo said:
To the point, the thing that still really bothers me is when you open the doors the dome lights, puddle lights and ambient lighting come one, but the ambient lighting assumes the color your chose not the white light it gives off when you press the all lights button in the overhead buttons. Is this something that can be adjusted or am I going to have to fight my OCD on this?
Can't you choose white as the ambient color? I thought you could. Btw, the ambient lights in the door temporarily turn red when you open them (to warn oncoming cars).

Can you post the bulb technical info and where you got them? -- especially the vanities.

Personally, I have not found a good color match for the LED eyebrows, which are a hard-to-find kind of neutral white (not yellow, not blue). 5000K is too blue compared to the eyebrows. My preference would be to replace all the lights with LEDs that match the eyebrows.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I can chose color, but there seems to be 3 ambient light profiles: driving (chosen color and brightness), doors open or unlocked (bright teal, red on open door), and search lights (bright white & dome lights). I love that these exist, but with bright white led dome lights I feel like the "door" profile would be better matched with bright white, that way entry is classy and well lit. Seems Lincoln models have white as default and fords are teal, so I might just have to live with this mismatch.
I am replacing all interior and puddle with this philips led. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3VZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
From what I could find in reviews it is the only led that is bright white without blue tones (like running light leds on focus), so hopefully it will match and my mind can rest. I am only doing the reverse lights in the same bulbs if they match front and license plate. Only other halogens on 2015 are brake and turn signals which and plenty bright and I don't want to mess with street legality.

Moolelo said:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I can chose color, but there seems to be 3 ambient light profiles: driving (chosen color and brightness), doors open or unlocked (bright teal, red on open door), and search lights (bright white & dome lights).
Interesting... after 2.5 years, I'd never actually noticed the difference between the "driving" and "door open" profiles, as my chosen color happens to be teal. :)

Moolelo said:
I am replacing all interior and puddle with this philips led. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3VZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
From what I could find in reviews it is the only led that is bright white without blue tones (like running light leds on focus)
I hope it works out, but the specs on that bulb actually say 6000K, which I think might end up "too white" compared to the eyebrows on the FFE. Let us know how it looks.

I've purchased my share of LEDs and, no matter what the specs say, the proof is always in the pudding. Most of the time, I have been disappointed. It seems to be a crapshoot. I think some of it comes from online sellers labeling things as "5000K", or whatever, without actually having a rigorous technical basis for doing so.

I had the same problem with my color being teal, but then I changed it just for fun and noticed it wouldn't change non-driving color :cry: .
I am holding out hope for these bulbs, but you are right you never know until you try (reviews seem to indicate they are closer to 5000k, running lights are 4500k I think, but the lower you go with leds the harder it is to get consistent bins of color).
Philips being a recognized brand has very consistent color temps across all their leds (auto and home), but for some reason they report these as a higher temp white than people are seeing (at least it consistent).
I'll let you know, if not amazon return!

Got the 194 LEDs first, look great but its not dark yet. Felt like a pro replacing them cause I watched all the YouTube videos on it, but the mirror puddle lamp on passengers side the incandescent bulb fell out of the gray housing as I extracted it.... Now I have it loose in there and the led installed. Any tips on getting it out? Tweezers? Pencil and tape?

Moolelo said:
Got the 194 LEDs first, look great but its not dark yet. Felt like a pro replacing them cause I watched all the YouTube videos on it, but the mirror puddle lamp on passengers side the incandescent bulb fell out of the gray housing as I extracted it.... Now I have it loose in there and the led installed. Any tips on getting it out? Tweezers? Pencil and tape?
Yeah, that's a tricky one. :( I did the same thing trying some LEDs in mine and struggled for a long time with a little retractable grippy thing until I finally managed to grip the base of the bulb and pull it out.

If you don't have one of those grippy things, fishing in something a stick with something super sticky on the end might work too. Or something with glue on the end -- stick it touching the bulb, leave it in place overnight to let dry, and (hopefully) just pull out the next day.

Maybe a little flexible hose you can stick in and suck on to create a "vacuum seal" on the bulb (glass part) and pull out.

In the worst case, you might research what it takes to remove and disassemble the mirror assembly. Maybe you'd only need to disassemble it partially to get at the lost bulb.

Thanks for your tips, got it out. The Philips 6000k 194 interiors are definitely closer to 5000K in person, very white almost no blue (puddle lights look bluer than rest in picture because of reflection off side of blue focus). They are a perfect match for the license plate lights (only brighter) and seem to match well with the front eyebrows (if not slightly bluer, but the front is so bright it is hard to tell, looks good though). I tried to make the picture match what I saw in person, but with mobile phone picture you can only do so much. Overall the bulbs are actually slightly brighter that the stock (wasn't expecting that, can actually see in trunk now). And makes car look much more cohesive and classy than the mismatched incandescent and led before at night.

Not my image of bulb comparison, just so you can see how white it really is when compared.

This is a really helpful thread. Thanks so much for all the great info. I jus got my 2015 FFE and looking at all the little tweaks that i want to make . This is one of them. Thanks again. :D

Back