If you could change 3 thing...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my FFE, personally, the three things I'd change are, the first "F" to the word "Model", the second "F" into a space, and the "E" into an "S". ;)

I still love my FFE, though. But, would be great to have both.

I'd second most of the ideas above, but add a preference or 2.
1. Should be able to run controls (e.g. to set where the fan blows inside air) by feel, so do not have to look down and to side to see which button to press.
2. Shape of hood (et al.) should be changed to make it easier to tell where the car corners are, e.g. for parking AND for driving through narrow winding mountain roads: FFE has Great power for hill climbs, but I found it harder to judge how close I get to guard rail than in other cars I have driven. (This could make aerodynamic shape harder to perfect, but is important to avoid accidents.)
3. I am one who prefers being able to select mirror dimming (or wiper running, ...) rather than having car decide such things for me. (This is somewhat like my preference for manual gear shifting, in other cars.) And the AC should only come on IF asked for, not so automatically1

I've only had my FFE a few days now, but I absolutely love it. That said, it appears Ford could do a bit better job marketing this car. The people who want to see butterflies on the dash (thank goodness they can be turned off) and a web page that shows how many lbs of CO2 they have saved are probably just as concerned about being seen in an electric car as driving one (no offense to those people), and are more likely to buy something that "looks" like an electric car (such as the Leaf). I'm guessing Ford's typical customer is more interested in an electric car with good performance that drives well. To that end, might I suggest:

1. More aggressive styling. I realize drag is a huge concern, but with the right visual cues the car could be made to look much more sporty. A few more paint choices and interior color choices would round out the styling package nicely.

2. More control over the software. Perhaps I want to stop charging before the battery is full (to avoid degradation on a hot day), or I want full charge and max discharge to stretch the range in a pinch. How about Economy vs Sport driving modes? I realize Ford is concerned about battery abuse and keeping customers happy, but look at the high end Mustangs - they have special keys that "unlock" more power and allow tweaking. I don't see why Ford couldn't (to some extent) make this an enthusiast's car by allowing more customization of the control systems.

Sure I'd like more range and a battery that didn't block a big chunk of the trunk, but the car is extremely useful as is. And right now Ford is giving $6k back plus zero percent financing for 5 years! After the fed and state incentives in my area that makes the car about $20k out the door, financed for 5 years at 0%! Honestly it is hard to complain about a car this nice for that little money.

TexaCali said:
2. More control over the software. Perhaps I want to stop charging before the battery is full (to avoid degradation on a hot day), or I want full charge and max discharge to stretch the range in a pinch.
With the FFE, the battery never actually charges to "full" anyway. We estimate that a full charge uses 90-95% of the total 23 kWh battery capacity. In any case, I don't think any such feature is truly useful. IMO, the FFE's thermal management system does more to protect the longevity of the battery than different charging patterns ever could.

Also, note that an actual "full discharge" would chemically damage the battery, so this is not really a desirable feature either. Lithium-ion batteries should never be completely discharged. In the case of the FFE, we estimate that the battery never discharges below around 10% of the total capacity.

1) more range option (would elevate heater hit)
2) auto lock. My Caddilac has this, love it!
3) Homelink option

Somebody else mentioned LED external lights. ...would also be nice.

Dark interior? Pass. Just makes the AC work even harder.

WattsUp said:
TexaCali said:
2. More control over the software. Perhaps I want to stop charging before the battery is full (to avoid degradation on a hot day), or I want full charge and max discharge to stretch the range in a pinch.
With the FFE, the battery never actually charges to "full" anyway. We estimate that a full charge uses 90-95% of the total 23 kWh battery capacity. In any case, I don't think any such feature is truly useful. IMO, the FFE's thermal management system does more to protect the longevity of the battery than different charging patterns ever could.

Also, note that an actual "full discharge" would chemically damage the battery, so this is not really a desirable feature either. Lithium-ion batteries should never be completely discharged. In the case of the FFE, we estimate that the battery never discharges below around 10% of the total capacity.

I believe the thermal management system gets more credit than it deserves. As best I can tell, it doesn't cut in until the battery temperature is nearly 98 F. It's rare to get that high. Today was 100 and my car was in direct sun. The battery didn't exceed 95 F even without power applied, and applying power did not cause the TMS to go active. The battery appears to be well insulated and has a large thermal mass

When I started charging, the battery temp went up to 98 and stabilized around 95 when the TMS cut in. For that I do give it credit. It simmers but doesn't barbeque.

I totally agree with TexaCali that there should be a better way to terminate charging early than to walk down to the parking lot and unplug. The car is one big computer. While some people believe that it's OK to repeatedly charge the car up to its limit and trust the TMS, others believe that only the minimum necessary charge should be used. What harm would there be for Ford to supply this capability?

And full discharge does not damage the battery. Excessive, abnormal, beyond-full-discharge causes this damage. This is not a lead-acid battery. It's different. It's more like a spring....if you store it relaxed, it's OK. If you store it compressed, it can take a set and weaken. Not a perfect analogy, but it gives you the idea.

michael said:
And full discharge does not damage the battery. Excessive, abnormal, beyond-full-discharge causes this damage. This is not a lead-acid battery. It's different. It's more like a spring....if you store it relaxed, it's OK. If you store it compressed, it can take a set and weaken. Not a perfect analogy, but it gives you the idea.
Fully discharging a lithium-ion battery is definitely not good. That's what I was referring to. You wouldn't want the FFE to have an option to allow that.

What you're probably referring to the "logical" full discharge, where the car reports "0 miles" or "0%". The battery has not actually been fully discharged when the car is in that state. The car keeps about a 10% charge in reserve (which is there simply to protect the battery, you can't ever use it).

1. An ECO setting for the climate control that provides ventilation without trying to add heat tor cooling.

1a. A low fan setting that is about 1/4 of the current low setting.

2. More visibility into the battery and power parameters.
HV battery amps (positive and negative values)
HV battery volts
HV battery temperature (likely multiple)
HV battery State of Charge (SoC)
Instantaneous Wh/mile
Average Wh/mile
It could be on a special geek screen accessible from the Eco screen.

3. All interior and exterior lighting to be LED. What's with the old school bulbs?

I don't think that is what he means. On a Cadillac if you have auto lock enabled it will automatically lock the doors as you walk away from the vehicle--you don't ever have to remember to hit the lock button on your way out.

jmueller065 said:
I don't think that is what he means. On a Cadillac if you have auto lock enabled it will automatically lock the doors as you walk away from the vehicle--you don't ever have to remember to hit the lock button on your way out.
Oh!! :eek: I didn't know that feature existed on a Cadillac. Thanks Jamie!

Why limit it to auto lock?

Do what Tesla does: Auto lock, auto unlock, and auto start.

You walk up to the car, it unlocks and the door handles pop out. Then you get in and drive off. You don't need to hit the start button.

First off, I love the car ... But,

When I first test drove it, it was on smooth streets, and I loved the ride... quiet, smooth, etc.

However, after this Chicago winter, many of the streets I drive on are very bumpy and very noticeable esp. compared to my trade-in, a plug-in Prius.

So, I'd like to see a little softer ride.

hybridbear said:
jloucks said:
2) auto lock. My Caddilac has this, love it!
The Focus Electric doors don't lock automatically when you drive?

Not what I meant. I meant when you walk away from the FFE, the car knows and locks itself. Sorta the other half of how it semi-auto unlocks when you touch the handle.

The FFE even honks if you walk away and it is on. Soooo why not just lock if it is off?

hybridbear said:
jmueller065 said:
Oh!! :eek: I didn't know that feature existed on a Cadillac. Thanks Jamie!

Exactly. :D

1) Suppress the vacuum pump / compressor noise when applying the brakes. Ruins the 'silence' of the car. I try to tell everyone its so quiet, then they hear bzzzzzzzzzz... then I have to explain well....

2) Yes, heater is terribly inefficient. I lose 20 miles with it set to 65.

3) Traction control is bad from a stand still. Wheel always slips for a moment on the slightest amount of loose rock and dirt. I think this is the reason for such terrible acceleration from zero. Too much torque I guess. If you are going 30 mph and floor the pedal, the car moves out quite quickly. But from a standstill, it barely moves.

Back