How Much More is YOUR Electric Bill to Charge The FFE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBT

I have had my amazing new Ford Focus Electric for nearly two months now and absolutely love it. However, I'm not loving my Electric bills to charge the car. Both December's and January's were about $120 more due to the charging of the Focus. Is anyone else running into these massive electric bills? I could buy gas for my old Prius on this! I'm driving about 30-45 miles per day. ;)

Hi SBT,
Yes, $120 a month more is about right. (My northern California PG&E bill for my first month was closer to $200 more because I was already in tier 5 rates before the Focus came home). Driving an electric vehicle really requires a multi-faceted lifestyle change. In the last two months I've changed to a "time of use" billing structure for EV drivers (They give you a discounted rate from midnight to 6AM). To ensure that I could recharge in that window, a level 2 charger was mandatory. I also re-lamped most of the lights in my home with LEDs (GE and Phillips make some really compelling replacements these days) and unplugged or automated all the energy sucking computers, amplifiers and networking gear around the house that don't get used daily. (I've been meaning to get around to that for years!!!) I also ended up researching and going to contract on a solar array (micro-inverters make solar a reality for many more roof configurations and the pricing of solar systems are at an all-time low due to the Chinese flooding the market with subsidized panels) so by the end of Feb. I'll be driving for free, doing my part to improve the planet, and in 4 yrs. will be cash positive on the (american made-Thank you Ford and SunPower!) solar array. The last time I priced solar it was a 15 yr. ROI so the time is NOW if you have any south or west facing roof areas).

I'm putting together a presentation for my local architect and builder community to educate them in the "all-in" approached needed to make this EV revolution really work. (In Northern California, it's not an if, it's a when). Feel free to PM me your info if you want to discuss this stuff in more detail.

-Robert Gilligan

It's most definitely dependent on the rate structure of your utility and it is worthwhile to check out before getting an electric car. My utility (KCPL) does not have any special rate plans for those who have EV's, but the normal rate is relatively low. I have a FFE and a Chevy Volt and my monthly bill attributable to the cars generally runs about $50 combined.

Here on Long Island, LIPA charges you less for the first 250kwh/month. So the time doesnt matter here. I asked my employer if i could plug in there and he let me. BTW, i installed a 6.5 kw system in mid december. This should be close to netting zero.

The electric car is awesome !!!!

I'm looking at $30 or $40 more a month, compared to $120 a month for gas with previous vehicle. I don't have a kill-a-watt type device to see for sure how much electricity's going towards the car. Some of the increase might be home space heater use, but even if it's all car, its not bad at all. I'm sure "battery conditioning" and go-timing because of the cold midwest winter is making my cost a bit more than it will be come spring.
Driving FFE daily- more than I drove my previous vehicle, when I would have taken public trans a few times a week in the past to save on gas.

The FFE has a 23 kwhr battery. At 12 cents per kwhr, it should cost $2.76 to fully charge. A fully charged battery should give you 75 miles so a daily commute of 60 miles should cost you less than $80/month unless the math isn't quite that simple.
Jane was a much colder month than avg in SoCal. Could that contribute to your higher utility bill or do you heat your house with natural gas?

I will be in the minority here: I am seeing a lower electricity bill each month now (50$ lower). Here is why: I was able to convert to a constant "realtime rate" for all of the electricity at my house. What had been a fixed 7.5 cents per kwh is now averaging around 3 to 3.5 cents per kwh. Since the car charges primarily at night and the rates tend to dip to 1 to 2 cents per kwh during those times, I am seeing a large cost savings for the electricity used by the car! Purchasing the car led to the discovery of the Realtime Rates program, and you dont even need to have an EV to sign up for it! Not being at home during the day (and peak rate hours) also helps keep my average rate low.

Dreaming-in-Focus:

by 'real time rates' do you mean Time of Use? In Los Angeles, the LADWP (power company here) is pushing the Time of Use option. The idea of possibly paying 21 cents a kWh during peak times scares me, but maybe it's worth it because nighttime rates are lower. (though not much lower than the standard tiered rate)

Yep, its the same concept - I think that the provider here (ComEd) just branded the program with a catchy name. Its pretty remarkable how expensive your rates are over there - We see 1 to 2 cent rates almost every night, with some spikes in the 7 to 12 cent range at about 6:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Since our biggest consumer of electricity is the Heating/Cooling systems, we installed a Nest thermostat last year and it has really allowed us to fine tune when they turn on, and therefore avoid the rate spikes.

goatea said:
Dreaming-in-Focus:

by 'real time rates' do you mean Time of Use? In Los Angeles, the LADWP (power company here) is pushing the Time of Use option. The idea of possibly paying 21 cents a kWh during peak times scares me, but maybe it's worth it because nighttime rates are lower. (though not much lower than the standard tiered rate)

Kosffdelop said:
What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!

Since the spam bot surfaced this thread I'll comment. My electric bill is around $20 higher each month but we drive over 1000 miles and are at $.068/KWh. Thanks hydroelectric power!

Back