How far can I go part II: Using waypoints on the nav system

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Until yesterday I haven't used the multiple waypoint feature of the nav (even though this is the 2nd car with MFT + Nav that we've had LOL). Here is how:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/03/05/how-far-can-i-go-part-ii-using-the-car/

If you are sitting in your car and curious if you can make a round trip: program the whole trip into the nav: Starting with your destination and then add your return destination in as well. The car will let you know if you can make the trip on the current state of charge.

jmueller065 said:
Until yesterday I haven't used the multiple waypoint feature of the nav (even though this is the 2nd car with MFT + Nav that we've had LOL).
I found the waypoint very effective when I went the "back way" to Palm Springs over a mountain pass. I looked up the peak altitude on Google Earth and set that location as a waypoint on my drive over the mountain. That way, I knew that if I made it to the peak, I would have a 15 mile downhill into the desert valley. It worked great because I had just about 5 miles remaining when I hit the peak. If I hadn't determined it by waypoint, I would have been freaking out because my destination was still 25 miles away.

unplugged said:
I found the waypoint very effective when I went the "back way" to Palm Springs over a mountain pass. I looked up the peak altitude on Google Earth and set that location as a waypoint on my drive over the mountain. That way, I knew that if I made it to the peak, I would have a 15 mile downhill into the desert valley. It worked great because I had just about 5 miles remaining when I hit the peak. If I hadn't determined it by waypoint, I would have been freaking out because my destination was still 25 miles away.
Very cool!

Thanks. Just got the car a week and a half ago and was wondering if the nav system had that capability! That
will come in handy.

The waypoints work great, just as you have discussed above.

My one request to Ford would be that they provide a way to save favorite routes (series of waypoints and a destination) as well as favorite destinations.

This isn't really needed in a normal car, since you would hopefully learn your daily commute. But in an EV, it's helpful to know your charge status even on a familiar route.

cwstnsko said:
Resurrecting an old thread rather that starting a new one.
Has anyone tested the maximum number of waypoints the system will allow.
My Monday through Friday is very predictable Work->Home->Work->Home... etc. A couple days ago when the temperature dropped 20 degrees, I decided to was set up a work/home loop to have a surplus reading during this cold spell. As I was setting it up, it occurred to me that there was no reason not to put in multiple days worth of work/home loops. I put Thursday and Friday in as a test, and it worked great. It was pretty interesting to arrive home and have the car immediately tell me that I needed to charge in order to make it to work and back the next day. On Sunday, I'll try and set up the whole workweek, if it will take 10 waypoints....
There is a limit. We've hit it a few times when planning a long sequence of trips in a single day to get a status number. I'm not sure how many it is. 8 strikes me as being about what we were inputting when we hit the limit.

Back