Help required on route planning software

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsharpe

Hi,

After many years of frustration planning long EV routes, time has come to develop a powerful route planning tool.
It will be an open (i.e. accessible to any type of vehicle driver) and based on open charge point and vehicle information.

The YouTube videos of the mobile app looks very good. But I don't have a Focus, but a different type of electric vehicle ;-), so cant access the app or portal to check it out.

I have a couple of requests

1) Is there a route planner on the Focus website ?

2) Which of the following features does the website/app planner have ?

Does the planner ...

-auto route via charge points
-Calculate start time after specifying a required arrival time
-Display charge points from selected multiple operators ?
-Use a list of charge points that are generally upto date ?
-Allow you to add new charge points yourself ?
-All you to override the selection/deselection of a given charge point for routing ?
-take account of the effect of different road speeds on the rangee ?
-include the required charge time at each charge point ?
-include a find the charge point and associated connect/disconnection time ?
-have configurable range for different road speeds ?
-can download route to the vehicle ?
-can it save regularly used routes & charge data ?
-print out time plan with expected arrival/departure time at charge point, zip codes and charge point contact info

(I would like to include your responses on our new one-stop-shop website for electric vehicles).

3) Would you be interested in using an open route planner that can do all the above ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob,
We desperately need better software for this so I'm glad to help any any way I can. (It should be noted that the in-dash Sync nav system does a much better job than the website but it's a time consuming task that doesn't allow for time managed way-point charging to get you to the church on time!)

1) Is there a route planner on the Focus website ? (Yes, though it's REALLY limited).

2) Which of the following features does the website/app planner have ?

Does the planner ...

-auto route via charge points- (No)
-Calculate start time after specifying a required arrival time -(No)
-Display charge points from selected multiple operators ? (Yes, though it's very limited, Plugshare is the standard you should aspire to).
-Use a list of charge points that are generally upto date ? (Not really- Missing Many)
-Allow you to add new charge points yourself ?- (No)
-All you to override the selection/deselection of a given charge point for routing ? (You can delete a way-point)
-take account of the effect of different road speeds on the rangee ? (Yes... In car NAV anyway)
-include the required charge time at each charge point ? - (No!!!)
-include a find the charge point and associated connect/disconnection time ? -(No!)
-have configurable range for different road speeds ? (No- this is done by sticking to your in dash "Energy budget" kWh limit).
-can download route to the vehicle ?-(Yes, though without important data like "Will you charge at this way-point" so you end up needing to do it form within the vehicle)
-can it save regularly used routes & charge data ? (Not routes, just destinations and waypoints so you need to built the route again each time)
-print out time plan with expected arrival/departure time at charge point, zip codes and charge point contact info. (Route print out directions only)

(I would like to include your responses on our new one-stop-shop website for electric vehicles). - Let me know how I can help!!!!)

3) Would you be interested in using an open route planner that can do all the above ? (Ummmmm, Yes please?)

Kindest regards,
Robert Gilligan

Thanks a lot Robert. That is useful to know.

Yoyogee said:
I'm glad to help any any way I can.
Thanks - any help is always appreciated.
Please let me know your skill set and how you can help.
I am hoping to finance via crowd funding so will need the largest list of EV users as possible, e/g/
-a list of Focus forums, etc, would be great?
-do you know anyone with good EV social media followers?

Yoyogee said:
Display charge points from selected multiple operators ? (Yes, though it's very limited, Plugshare is the standard you should aspire to)
Don't worry it will be a lot better than Plugshare

Yoyogee said:
Use a list of charge points that are generally upto date ? (Not really- Missing Many)
Could you check to see if the missing points are on http://www.openchargemap.org

Back