GPS Losing it's Voice?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlufferMew

MY GPS HAS GONE MUTE! Okay, so I don't use the voice commands in my car at all. So the only time I hear a voice is while I'm using the GPS. Recently I've encountered an issue where the GPS can't use the voice. It's not muted. I've tried restarting the car of course. I just keep seeing text on the "Media" tab saying, "Building Voice Commands."

I just took my car in for maintenance for the second time about a week ago. As far as I know, it worked beforehand, but I hadn't used my GPS in a while, so I can't say for sure.

Has anyone encountered this issue? I'd like to go through some troubleshooting tips before actually contacting my dealer.

"Building Voice Commands" refers to building the commands for any media that you have plugged into the USB port (iPod, iPhone, Flash Drive, etc.). When the car starts up it scans the media on the device and builds the commands from the media names. With a lot of media on the device this could take some time to complete.

I wouldn't think that message is related to GPS issues but you never know.

I always set all the menu options to advanced because the sync lady blabbing on all the time simply takes too much time. Are you hearing beeps instead of the voice? (If so then you probably have her turned off.)

jmueller065 said:
"Building Voice Commands" refers to building the commands for any media that you have plugged into the USB port (iPod, iPhone, Flash Drive, etc.). When the car starts up it scans the media on the device and builds the commands from the media names. With a lot of media on the device this could take some time to complete.

I wouldn't think that message is related to GPS issues but you never know.

I always set all the menu options to advanced because the sync lady blabbing on all the time simply takes too much time. Are you hearing beeps instead of the voice? (If so then you probably have her turned off.)

That's what I thought, about the ipod, when I saw that message being displayed on the media tab. I tried again with my iPod unplugged, but it didn't help getting her to talk. I can't imagine what's different. It's never taken this long before. Over the course of a 30 minute drive, it never completed "Building Voice Commands."

I'm puzzled! I haven't been hearing beeps either. I messed with what I could at the time. Just restarting the car, unplugging the iPod, muting and unmuting her. I like the voice because then I don't have to keep looking at the screen. I can't even get the beeps that indicate I'm coming up on a turn or exit. I have to just pay attention to the street it says.

Is the volume turned down? Try this: when you have an active route use the right steering wheel buttons to show the navigation on that screen and then press "OK" to have it repeat the last instruction. Now use the volume buttons on steering wheel or radio to turn up the volume of the Navigation lady (according to Ford her name is "Samantha"). Look at the lower left corner of the dash where the volume is displayed for the radio when you adjust it or for the phone if you adjust it while on the phone. It should now show the volume for navigation commands and other Sync functions.

Is it possible that this volume was turned all the way down?

Back