Georgia Kills its $5000 Car Credit, imposes $200 EV road tax

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frbill

Inside EV's reports that Georgia is killing its EV buying credit and establishing an annual $200 Road Tax for EV's. Check out my post. for more info.

Pax

Kia is planning to bring the Soul EV to Georgia in just a few weeks because of the $5000 tax credit. I wonder if now they'll back out of those plans. Nissan Leaf sales have been carried by Georgia. I wonder if now Leaf sales will tank.

Doing some quick math with the $200 penalty fee. I figured out that if you drive 12,000 miles a year you would be paying the equivalent gas tax as a vehicle that got 15.6 MPG. This is flat out wrong. If we do the math for a 50 MPG car this fee comes out to $60 for your plate registration renewal fee. They could add additional $20 to this fee to help expand and maintain charging station network.

As for government giving out incentives to buy EVs this a hot ticket subject. It's great if your the one buying the car not so great if your the tax payer paying for it. I think a phase out program would of been a better way of doing this. Reduce to $4000 for the remainder of the year. Then reduce it by $700 every year their after.

Georgia state gas tax is 26 cents a gallon.

jeffand said:
Doing some quick math with the $200 penalty fee. I figured out that if you drive 12,000 miles a year you would be paying the equivalent gas tax as a vehicle that got 15.6 MPG. This is flat out wrong. If we do the math for a 50 MPG car this fee comes out to $60 for your plate registration renewal fee. They could add additional $20 to this fee to help expand and maintain charging station network.

As for government giving out incentives to buy EVs this a hot ticket subject. It's great if your the one buying the car not so great if your the tax payer paying for it. I think a phase out program would of been a better way of doing this. Reduce to $4000 for the remainder of the year. Then reduce it by $700 every year their after.

Georgia state gas tax is 26 cents a gallon.
There's only one problem with your plan... It's reasonable and for that reason the lawmakers will never pass it.

What the politicians did was promise alternate energy and transportation incentives and then they passed the bill. Then when they've gotten the most political capital out, they pulled the rug when no one's looking and moved the green energy funds back into their general slush fund to fund their cronys' projects.

Is the $200 gas tax penalty in Georgia at purchase only or something we're hit with annually? From what I have read, it is annual. However, I purchased my FFE in October of 2014 and just renewed my GA tag in June of this year and there was no $200 fee.

Back