Ford Focus EV Video from 2009

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5k3pt1c

That's right! You read the title right, it's a video from 2009 that talks about the 2011 Ford Focus Electric car. I haven't seen a mention of this video (or the Ford Focus EV Mule before on this Ford Focus Electric Forum). I was browsing YouTube and came across it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbKAaV04tk

Very interesting I have to say. Back in 2009 I don't remember hearing anything about Ford coming out with an EV, actually I didn't hear much about electric vehicles in general I don't think.

The video talks with Ford's chief engineer as well as a representative from Magna International who was involved in the battery and motor back then (I'm not up enough on the current Ford Focus EV to say whether or not Magna is still involved). They hop in the Ford Focus EV mule and take a trip around the block.

focus%20plug%20350.jpg

The mule feels very well finished overall, even thought the downtown Detroit testing limited speeds to less than 30mph. Like other EVs they could tell that the Focus EV had ample acceleration and low end torque.

There was no transmission, well, more specifically a single speed transmission which is more like a differential to gear down the motor before it sends power to the wheels.

They also noted that there was no noticeable noise from the motor and drivetrain and their only complaint was a slight vibration in the brake pedal when standing still (which they were told was due to a vacuum pump to give it power brakes).

Regenerative braking help simulate the feeling of a downshift in a normal car.

I thought it was a very fitting video for the Ford Focus Electric forum.

Back