Ford Dealership Charge Stations Not listed on MFM/MFT....

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcast1079

Is there a way to get Ford to have there dealers listed under the POI for charge stations and also on the app? This would be a great help knowing which dealers are EV certified and which are not. We could also get a charge while looking at new vehicles at the same time. Foot Traffic into the dealers. Nissan has it right as they seem to let the owners of all EV charge for FREE.

Dan

From what I have been told is that is a requirement that the Ford dealership have the exterior charging station be available to all EV's. This would of course be during regular business hours.

I had to ask my dealer to turn on the outside charger after I got the car back from service. I was going to leave it there to charge and pick it up after hours. They told me they turn it off so people won't use it. I told him well there's a dollar a day. I know a little exaggeration but geez. Most of the time the accessory manager parks a truck in front of it because its close to the door. I know from test driving the car I thought the navigation knew it should have a charger. Of course that was the a3 nav.

The dealership may be trying to discourage people from using it on a routine bases. This way they can track who’s using it, and help prevent over use by a single user. An extreme case would be the guy who is to cheep to install his own charging station, but instead charges at the dealership every day.

Sant Tan and Ernhardt's here don't list the charger. The dealer did a sneaky little thing and had added it as a location in the address book. 'Sold' that to me during the test drive. Then I did a master rest and poof, gone. Actually reminds me to download plugshare. That'll be a heck of a lot more handy than the really poorly made Mapquest stuff.

I rely completely on Plugshare for charger locations. Only about 10% of the charging stations show up on the Nav system here in the Houston area. Same thing on MFM. Plugshare is definitely the way to go.

Oilman

Yes, Plugshare is THE app for charging stations. BTW, I went all through SoCal and added every Ford dealer to the Plugshare lcoations. I went conservative and restricted it to only Ford vehicles, so they are all grey in the map locations. (I didn't want to be presumptuous and expect Ford to let everyone charge there.)

But, Ford dealers are REQUIRED to allow charging at their locations in order to be certified as electric vehicle dealers. As published in the official Ford publication, @Ford Online, dealers must meet a list of requirements to become certified, including:

• One of the two required charging stations at the dealership must be in the customer area and the other must be in the service area.

I think it is fair to read this to mean that the customer area station is for the use of customers and Ford owners. So, if a dealer refuses to allow you to plug-in, read him the requirements and ask him whether s/he wants to call Ford to see if the dealer should remain certified, or should you.

Just read this and want to say thank you for this information. I recently had an incident with the dealer over charging one of my 2 cars. I had to get the sales rep involved to get the car charged while in for the recall. I dropped one car (blue) with 10mi or range to pick up the other (white) car after the service. The rep gave me a hard time when I asked for a charge while in for service. You would have thought that I was asking for his personal electricity. I found he was being lazy and lacking customer service. I am looking forward to stating the facts as listed here next time. I am getting to the point that I am so done with Ford and these cars. I never bought a Ford before. I now have 2 and will never buy another.

I've had my share of dealer experiences which have been great and sour...from service to sales...it doesn't matter. I've done Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan. I had one dealer that was I thought was great until one time when I went for service and they installed a defective part. I couldn't believe the attitude and denial I got.
Anyway, go back in a few months and half the staff will be new. I think the personal touch is a fleeting thing. I went to my ford dealer to pick up a part for another car and a guy on the sales floor ask why I didn't plug my vehicle in. Also, when I took my FFE in for recall, one time they charged it and one time they didn't. Overall I am happy with them....but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Bottom line, your problem is with that dealer...find a new dealer...or wait a few months :)

Back