Focus as home generator

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magudaman

I have heard of the Leaf guys using their car as a backup generator for the home. Essentially put a 1000w inverter on the 12v system which can support up to 100a from the dc-dc converter. You can then use that power to run a fridge and some lights while just leaving the car in ready to drive mode.

Anyone try this with their focus? I want to put a heavy power pole outlet on the front of my car so I can easily access the 12v power.

The closest I've come to this is run a batting cage off of an 800w inverter: (Note that a 1kW inverter isn't very large at all and can't run too much stuff.)
noveluse2.jpg

I set up a 2kW inverter based on what the Leaf guys in the Washington DC area were doing (and had posted on their website) that I used with my ActiveE. Haven't tried it with the Focus yet, but I do plan on it as the 12v battery is inaccessible in the i3. Just need to test it before I actually lose power...

Trying to connect the battery to a house on a current car, probably makes little sense. I recall reading that a Japanese car manufacturer mentioned plugging the car into a house as backup power. It seems like a great idea, if the car is designed up front to be the backup power.

Back