First 12Volt Battery Dies, Then SSN - a correlation?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robochimp

Hi All,

just curious of those that have had SSN, how many were accompanied first by a dead 12V accessory battery, then by a text from the car saying:

"<car name> has limited performance due to hot temperatures. Please plug the vehicle in." - even though the car was plugged in?..

just wondering out loud if there is a chain of events that is similar here with anyone else..

thanks!

So much for that theory :]..

I did finally get my Bosch L2 Powermax installed (waiting for the utility co. to approve and hook up) so I will be able to test the next theory that
I've heard that possibly the 120V plugin charger is the problem (someone mentioned this in one of the forums)...

If necessary, I will revert to a faux rabbit's foot for good luck, too :]

I had 5 SSN "episodes" resulting in 4 dealership visits as well as one Field Service Engineer review. I did get a replacement 120volt unit after the last problem, but did not use it anymore since I finally had my Leviton 7.2 kW unit installed. Its been 2500 miles since the last SSN. I have stopped using the 120volt power supply completely.

My theory (which I believe is at least as good as the inept responses from Ford) is that the 120v unit does not supply enough power to the car under certain charging and heat conditions and that certain components became damaged due to under-volting or something similar. I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong on that, but for now - no more 120v charging.

Anyone else charge exclusively with level 2 power and get SSN errors?

robochimp said:
So much for that theory :]..

I did finally get my Bosch L2 Powermax installed (waiting for the utility co. to approve and hook up) so I will be able to test the next theory that
I've heard that possibly the 120V plugin charger is the problem (someone mentioned this in one of the forums)...

If necessary, I will revert to a faux rabbit's foot for good luck, too :]

I've charged almost exclusively on Level 2 and have not ever had a SSN message (only one partial charge on 120V). Not what you asked, but another data point.

I charge at Level 2 most days of the week (at work, using ChargePoint stations).

On weekends, I frequently charge overnight at Level 1 using the Ford charger (usually a partial charge, like 50%).

I've never had an SSN.

Charge most of the time on L2 at home.
Have charged maybe 10 times on 120V when I visit my parents approx. 34 miles away.
Never had SSN event.

I have ONLY used the L1 charger supplied with the FFE and I got a SSN in the first week. It happened within the first 300 miles!!!

The vehicle is in the shop currently being diagnosed and the Sync software is being updated and marker light recall applied.

I hope Ford gets to the bottom of this problem before they blow a big hole in their EV project!

robochimp said:
...how many were accompanied first by a dead 12V accessory battery, then by a text from the car saying:

"<car name> has limited performance due to hot temperatures. Please plug the vehicle in." - even though the car was plugged in?..
You may be on to something. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation to the 120 charging in hot weather and any SSN. I understand from Ford that the 120 will cycle between charging and cooling in hot circumstances. This is different than the 240 which charges and cools simultaneously. If there is an issue with the 120 charge/cool cycling, it may create an overheat condition that causes either a software fault or a mechanical fault.

I have used a 240 station exclusively and have had no issues.

Again, I have only used the L1 that came with the car while charging at home.

Within 300 miles I had a SSN. I live in the PHX area and it's hot here now.

According to the MyFordMobile app, about 15 minutes before the SSN I had the vehicle plugged in and the limited performance please plug in message was logged (2:32 PM). I had also been working in the car and had the AC running to cool me down for a while. About two hours earlier the car was fully charged via the L1 and it was logged at (12:21 PM). The L1 was plugged in until about 2:40 PM or about 5 minutes before the SSN.

This certainly could have been a heat related issue and/or a L1 related issue.

I don't believe there was a 12v battery issue in this instance.

Hoping to get my L2 in ASAP.

Back