Fine for driving in HOV lane without CAV decal is $238.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled this from another site. I guess the $66 penalty for having them on is better than $238 ticket for not having them.

"Last Thursday, I returned our 2012 Volt leased through Ally. It was an early turn-in. I live in California. Inspection report was posted yesterday and it noted a charge of $66 for (2) HOV stickers (front and back). I left them on thinking that it would add value to the vehicle at auction (at least for a CA purchase), especially since the number of available green stickers is dwindling.

The lease return kit (http://www.ally.com/resources/pdf/au...return-kit.pdf)
did not specifically mention the presence of stickers as excess wear. Could it be considered a "modification including lettering or graphics?"

michael said:
It didn't occur to me that it would be necessary to remove the stickers when returning the car. Anyone know if they insist on it?
The stickers should not be removed.. and I wouldn't think that any dealer would want them removed. Stickers increase the re-sale value of the car (assuming the particular sticker program is still valid).

This is what happened to the yellow stickers for the Prius. Once the allotment of yellow stickers ran out, it automatically increased the market value of all used Prii on the market that already had them (while the yellow sticker program was still valid). Dealers were charging a premium for such cars, since, for a time, it became the only way to get into the HOV lane.

The green and white HOV sticker program will be valid for quite some time, and so the same situation could occur with used cars that have them. The green ones have already run out, but the white ones haven't.

For my leased 2014 FFE, the local dealer put the HOA stickers on before the FFEs were even sold.
It wouldn't be right for them to charge me when turning the car in at end of lease for something the dealer did on the car!

My cars are all white stickers, which are available from the DMV (by the way, I just learned the cost went from 8 to 22) without the limitation of the green stickers. I used adhesive that will allow me to remove them. I'll let the dealer or next owner worry about them. If they were the green stickers, I would leave them on, as that is a completely different story with the ability to get new stickers.

There is no quota on white stickers, they are out of quota on green. A new owner can get new white stickers as long as the car is 100% electric or CNG.

WattsUp said:
brlister said:
If they were the green stickers, I would leave them on, as that is a completely different story with the ability to get new stickers.
What's the difference in thinking? Whatever the color, only the original owner can acquire HOV stickers. The next owner is always screwed if you remove them.

I think that's not correct. Even if the stickers are removed, that very car is eligible no matter who owns it. If the stickers are stolen, destroyed, etc. the DMV will replace them. But I agree, unless the lease inspection requires their removal, everyone is better off if they are left in place.

I'm pretty sure (or at least I hope) they won't again increase the number of green stickers. There's probably such a backlog of requests that future buyers won't be helped, thus no additional incentive to buy a clean air car. I think they should let the green stickers expire in a year and a half as scheduled. At that time they might consider new stickers for ERVs with 100 mile electric range (like the BMW I3 will be at that time). Volt, Energi, etc. should no longer get concessions.

WattsUp said:
brlister said:
Ran across this search trying to decide if I should try to fight it, or just pay the fine and move on.
I think you should fight it.

Force the busy-body officer to come to court and explain why he wasted everyone's time over one missing sticker that he could have simply written a fix-it ticket for, or merely reminded you to affix as soon as possible. Especially considering you were borrowing the car.

If the officer doesn't even show up, chances are the judge will be reasonable, especially if you can show proof that the sticker has now been affixed (which I would recommend you arrange for), and might dismiss the ticket entirely.

Of course, just be reasonable in court yourself... never angry, merely prepared, composed, logical, and respectful.
In Cali do you still actually have to go to court before a real judge? In MN if you want to fight a ticket it goes to a hearing officer at a local county service center who just listens to your side of the story & makes a decision. If you don't like the decision of the hearing officer you can take it to real court, but then you have to pay court costs whether you win or lose. There is no cost to request an appointment with the hearing officer at the county.

Question for all HOV decal drivers: How often do you cross the double yellow line?

For me, I do it almost everyday on my commute. I know I shouldn't but I can't stand waiting for the entrance/exit when traffic is heavy and the lane is empty. It is almost impossible psychologically to wait. Every day I see literally dozens of cars crossing. It must be the most violated code on the freeway. I have even crossed a couple of times and not noticed a highway patrol behind me. So far they just ignore it. Luckily.

TomEV said:
Question for all HOV decal drivers: How often do you cross the double yellow line?

For me, I do it almost everyday on my commute. I know I shouldn't but I can't stand waiting for the entrance/exit when traffic is heavy and the lane is empty. It is almost impossible psychologically to wait. Every day I see literally dozens of cars crossing. It must be the most violated code on the freeway. I have even crossed a couple of times and not noticed a highway patrol behind me. So far they just ignore it. Luckily.

I avoid doing it, but I do so occasionally. Usually if I just saw someone else do it and not get ticketed. It's a little risky, I admit.

Once I got a laugh...there were maybe a dozen LAPD motorcycle cops in formation, going down the carpool lane. Some idiot crossed the double yellow into the carpool lane right in front of them. It took about a millisecond for them to light him up.

hybridbear said:
In Cali do you still actually have to go to court before a real judge? In MN if you want to fight a ticket it goes to a hearing officer at a local county service center who just listens to your side of the story & makes a decision. If you don't like the decision of the hearing officer you can take it to real court, but then you have to pay court costs whether you win or lose. There is no cost to request an appointment with the hearing officer at the county.

It's even better than that. You can contest the ticket by mail (trial by written declaration). If the cop doesn't bother to respond in writing, you win. If he does and you lose, you can still request an actual "trial de novo".

The downside is that if you plead not guilty, the hearing commissioner (not an actual judge) may decide to punish your uppity behavior by denying you the option of traffic school. So sometimes you're better off just to go to traffic school, keep if off your record.

Back