EVSE's are us, and a contest winner

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Here I discuss my growing collection of EVSE's:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/06/10/chargers-are-us-or-rather-evses/

Remember that EV Blogging contest in the fall: start a blog win an EVSE. Well the winner was me... I didn't have anything to say other than "I won!" so I didn't mention it until the Juicebox showed up (today).

Awesome! Congratulations, jmueller! I'm really happy that it went to you... out of all the folks that post on myevblog.com, you by far have the best presence!

I'm still feeding off of two L1 EVSEs on separate circuits every night to charge my three plug-ins. I have a third circuit available, but don't need it. Between that and charging on the L2 EVSEs at work, I am never short of charge.

But.... I still really want an L2 at home for convenience. Was ready to go with the LCS-25, but only got as far as buying the breaker, wires, and plug to convert an existing 20A 240V circuit to 30A. Didn't go for it because for a little more than the price of the LCS-25 I can get an HCS-40P, or better yet it for not much more it seems I can get the premium Juicebox with all the bells and whistles, and take full advantage of the 10kW charger on the RAV4 EV.

Long story short, I look forward to your reviews of the Juicebox! I'm in no rush to upgrade to L2, so I'll make a decision based on your eval and the eventual certification from UL.

Again, congratulations. You deserve it!

Thanks guys.

So far I've taken the FFE off of value charge because I want to be awake when it charges (yeah don't trust my own wiring skills and want to be there when it goes through a few charge cycles).

The prize was the premium unit without the WiFi adapter. One of the interesting things about the premium unit is that it has that display on it and a menu system where you can adjust parameters (like max current) via the menu but there is no keypad on the box to control the menu. Instead it comes with a cute little keyfob with A, B, C, and D buttons on it. I put a nail in the wall next to the Juicebox to keep the keyfob on so it doesn't get lost.
evse5.jpg

cwstnsko said:
Looking at your pictures, you appear to have an Nema 6-30 socket, assuming it matches the plug on the Bosch unit. If this is the case, you might want to use the 27 amp charging current just for limited testing and consider dialing the Juicebox back to 24 amps to stay within code requirements for continuous draw on a 30 amp service.
Yes a Nema 6-30 socket with a pigtail going to a L6-30 for the Clipper Creek and the Juicebox.
At the moment I have the Juicebox set for 24 amps for just this reason--it seems to run 1 amp higher than what its set for..not sure if thats the FFE's fault or the Juicebox's.

Back