Electric Car Guest Drive Event, Focus Electric needed in SF

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric Car Guest Drive event in San Francisco

Electric Car Guest Drive is hosting an outreach event this Saturday, November 8th, we are looking for an owner/driver of a Ford Focus Electric to round out our electric car line-up. We will have a variety of EVs for our per-registered guests to view and/or drive.

We would provide a speakers honorarium for your time and energy for spreading the word about EVs.
The event is from 11am-5pm at a popular park near the Presidio.

Electric Car Guest Drives mission is to educate and spread awareness of the benefits of driving electric. You can view our website, http://www.electriccarguestdrive.com for more information and history on our previous events.

Please contact Lawrence at (858) 405-2704 to discuss your availability and details.

Thanks for your support. :D

hybridbear said:
How do you address the insurance issue?
I would imagine that your auto insurance is the way the insurance issue is addressed. Your insurance would cover any accidents by the guest. This is probably similar to the Drive Electric Week where private parties gave guest drives.

This reminds me of the recent Drive Electric in Huntington Beach. There, we had automakers provide cars. One test driver backed up from the parking space, and according to the Nissan folks, didn't even bother to look. She ran into another test driver, but didn't really cause any damage that couldn't be buffed out. Still, there are some crazy drivers out there.

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
How do you address the insurance issue?
I would imagine that your auto insurance is the way the insurance issue is addressed. Your insurance would cover any accidents by the guest. This is probably similar to the Drive Electric Week where private parties gave guest drives.

This reminds me of the recent Drive Electric in Huntington Beach. There, we had automakers provide cars. One test driver backed up from the parking space, and according to the Nissan folks, didn't even bother to look. She ran into another test driver, but didn't really cause any damage that couldn't be buffed out. Still, there are some crazy drivers out there.
Some owners asked about doing test drives at our NDEW event and were told that we couldn't because our personal car insurance would not cover any incidents during such an event and no one was going to pay for insurance for the event. Thus we couldn't do any private party test drives.

It's going to depend strongly on the terms of your personal insurance policy.

I recently had to review mine very carefully and found that it contains exclusions where it won't pay on collision or comprehensive claims if it is being (1) rented to any person or organization in any fashion or (2) leased to any person or organization in any fashion.

The exclusion does not apply (3) while the auto is being used for volunteer or charitable purposes for which reimbursement for normal operating expenses may be paid to you or a relative.

The way I read this, I would be covered for collision or comprehensive claims if I let somebody drive my car at a Drive Electric Week or similar event, even if I was being paid an expense reimbursement.

Jeez. A few months back there was some EV event in Woodland Hills. I brought my car and some guy was really interested so I took him for a ride and then offered to let him drive, which he did. As far as I'm concerned, he's just a licensed driver using my car with my permission, insurance no worries. Same as if you let your girlfriend drive.

Back