DC-DC converter algorithm

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaineer

In my new 2013 FFE, I notice that some accessories like the HVAC fan and seat-heaters report to Other rather than Climate loads on the MyView / Accessories screen. I'd like to understand the circumstances in which their energy use later shows up as a range reduction because the traction battery has been told to recharge the 12V accessory battery. If this wouldn't be likely to happen until I'd parked the car and plugged it into the charger, I wouldn't care, but if it happens on the road, it will reduce range. Could one of our Ford friends please shed some light on the general logic of the algorithm for recharging the 12V battery?

I'm also puzzled by a statement that the 12V battery doesn't get topped up from the traction battery if the car is unplugged and parked (e.g. for a long time at an airport). After a long wait in cold weather, wouldn't this risk failure to start?

And if the car is parked AND plugged in, does the 12 V battery get topped up as a normal housekeeping chore incidental to the recharging of the traction battery?

Thanks!

I'm also puzzled by a statement that the 12V battery doesn't get topped up from the traction battery if the car is unplugged and parked (e.g. for a long time at an airport). After a long wait in cold weather, wouldn't this risk failure to start?

How would it be any different than an ICE vehicle in this circumstance?

And if the car is parked AND plugged in, does the 12 V battery get topped up as a normal housekeeping chore incidental to the recharging of the traction battery?

I am guessing not, but it would be easy to test the voltage before and after you plug in, especially if you are able to run down the battery a bit with the headlights or another load. If you decide to test this, please let us know.

I always put an Argus Battery Bug on my car batteries, but I just realized it would likely be worthless on an EV because it wouldn't be able to detect the engine start ... thus it would not be able to determine the remaining life of the battery.

Back