Connectivity Options for 2012-2015 FFEs?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

27ace27

Howdy All,
What are the connectivity options for 2012-2015 FFEs? The dealer was able to order a 4G modem upgrade kit for my 2012, but I can't find any info on installing it in a pre-2016 MY car. Fordpass might suck, but it's better than nothing.

I had thought of this and I think it is possible from reading previous posts here, but it is a total DIY solution. I was thinking to play with an ESP8266 or ESP32 (An Arduino with WiFi capabilities) and put a Can bus hat on it. Then write some software to pick certain data off of the can bus and serve up a web page with the information: State of Charge, battery temp, 12V battery voltage, or any other thing you'd be interested in. So when parked in your garage or even with a phone app over wifi or perhaps bluetooth, you can see the information. Could even make it 2 way, such as to allow to unlock doors.

Currently, I don't have the time to do something like this, but it would be fun to try.

27ace27 said:
Howdy All,
What are the connectivity options for 2012-2015 FFEs? The dealer was able to order a 4G modem upgrade kit for my 2012, but I can't find any info on installing it in a pre-2016 MY car. Fordpass might suck, but it's better than nothing.

It can definitely be done, even DIY'd if the dealer refuses to do so.

There's a lot of discussion and research that was done on the C-Max at the forum thread linked below. Electrically it is the same as the Focus/Focus EV. Many owners (myself included with a '13, which wasn't in Ford's approved upgrade list) have been able to do this successfully.

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/11068-2014-2017-c-max-energi-3g-to-4g-modem-update/

The caveat being that if you DIY, the compatible TCU/modem models on the used market are hard to find. And dealers may not want to sell the official upgrade part to you outside of the sanctioned upgrade process.

They may not want to sell it, but it is possible. I managed it for my 2012 but I can't personally confirm if it would work the same with the older sync.

I can say that the programming was needed at the dealer, even if I had to manually change one of the flags to make it work correctly.

Back