Clunking noise when slowing down

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Often when I am coming to a stop I feel like the car is down shifting. Feels like a sloppy shift into a lower gear. Kinda makes a jump. Seems to happen right before I come to a complete stop at stop signs in residential neighborhoods or when coming to a stop at stop lights before entering the freeway. "I'm giving examples to give an idea on my speed, not very fast" any one ever get this?

I don't get a noise but I sometimes feel a physical lurch that I believe is from the brake pads engaging for the final stop after a 100% regen slowdown. I notice it more when driving in rain and on the first few stops of the day. I can see it feeling like a downshift. I think the brake pads just get grabby bc they aren't used often so they're cold? My previous car had a similar feeling after being parked in wet weather or parked for several days.

@Leo: I think this has happened to me a couple times as well. It occurs mid-slowdown, while the car still has significant speed, right? -- rather than at the very end of slowing down, as dmen seems to be describing. It also seems be more likely to happen if the surface is bumpy.

To me, if feels like all braking is disengaged for a split second, and then suddenly kicks back in. The only thing I can compare it to, if you've ever experienced it, is braking (in a conventional car) over wet train tracks. You will feel the sudden slippage on the slick metal surface, and then a bit of a lurch as the rubber hits pavement again.

Thanks for all the impute. I will try to pay more attention the next time it does it. Oddly enough it happens in two spots on the rod near my home. Coming for a 45 mph to a 25mph street to a stop. Then coming from a 45mph street to an on on ramp stop light.

Back