Clearcoat-safe adhesive to attach plastic placard?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio460

I have to attach a small plastic placard (long story), about the size of a credit card, and perhaps a bit thinner to the rear hatch of my FFE. It's a somewhat flexible plastic, sort of like a milk container, but thicker (it's actually meant to be a luggage tag). Can anyone suggest a non-petroleum based adhesive to adhere plastic to clearcoat?

I found this, but don't know if it harms the clearcoat or not. The label states that the product is "extremely flammable," so I don't think this is safe:

3M-2.jpg

3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive #03601

I did a Google search and found that someone had asked about such a product on a Subaru forum. Although the person said that he called the manufacturer, and reported that they claimed it was safe for clearcoats, I can't be sure how benign it really is to painted/clearcoated surfaces since its technical data sheet states that it contains, "Toluene, petroleum distillates (flammable):"

goop1.jpg

Amazing Goop automotive contact adhesive

Oh don't think you want to use anything with Toluene in it on paint. Unless it is a tiny amount - Toluene will dissolve paint pretty effectively. 60% of lacquer thinner is Toluene.

The magnet is a your ticket.

I would also guess 3M has a specialty product. If the magnet doesn't pan out - those 3M adhesive command strips would probably work really well - they won't affect paint at all.

Yeah, Toluene, bad. I went to Office Depot today and bought a pile of 3M products. They also had some adhesive magnets in various sizes. So, after work I went to Kinko's to use their rotary cutter to cut the magnet, then applied it to my small placard. At first I didn't think the magnet was strong enough to hold. I cleaned the part of the hatch I needed to place it on, and it seemed to attach pretty securely. Great solution!

WattsUp said:
Is it not acceptable to display this placard inside the hatch window? It actually has to be outside, on the paint?
Oh, it was totally my decision to place it outside. This isn't required to "comply" with anything.

studio460 said:
WattsUp said:
Is it not acceptable to display this placard inside the hatch window? It actually has to be outside, on the paint?
Oh, it was totally my decision to place it outside. This isn't required to "comply" with anything.
I see. If you're set on it being outside on the paint, I think you should go with the magnet.

If you want a really neat result, companies like http://www.cafepress.com will even print your custom design on flexible magnetic material in various shapes/sizes. I used them to make a white "oval" emblem (kinda like those you'd see with a country abbreviation like "UK") except mine says "EV". I can just slap it on the back of my FFE whenever I want. The material is even thin enough to be cut with scissors, so if they don't quite have the shape/size you want, print up something close, and just trim it when you get it.

----

Edit: If interested, start here:

http://www.cafepress.com/make/custom-car-accessories#Car Magnets

Thanks! Didn't realize CafePress did magnets. I would actially prefer plotter-cut vinyl graphics, but then I would have to obtain the EPS files from somewhere. This is a good "temporary" solution.

studio460 said:
Yeah, Toluene, bad. I went to Office Depot today and bought a pile of 3M products. They also has some adhesive magnets in various sizes. Got some of those, too. After work I went to Kinko's to use their rotary cutter to cut the magnet, then applied it to my small placard. At first I didn't think the magnet was strong enough to hold. I cleaned the part of the hatch I needed to place it on, and it seemed to attach pretty securely. Great solution!

Glad it worked out! Is this a photo worthy project? I think we're all curious as to what you are doing..

Yeah, it really worked out great--thanks! It's probably best not to "advertise" it, but I'll post some pictures of my car after I finish my ST spoiler install. Those who know where to look will be able to spot it.

studio460 said:
Yeah, it really worked out great--thanks! It's probably best not to "advertise" it, but I'll post some pictures of my car after I finish my ST spoiler install. Those who know where to look will be able to spot it.

Cool. I look forward to your ST spoiler instal. I think it would be quiet a lark to do a ST clone of the FFE! Use the front and rear facias and spoiler, you could mount a hitch and use it to plug the fake center exhaust to. (but still use it for a hitch if/when needed. Then go out and drag some poor schmuck! DOH! beat by an electric! But I'd keep the electric badges on with the added ST/ E-ST!! HUMMM. Wonder if those Recaros would work? LOL! just having fun with it!

Studio460 - you missed the easiest way to do this - I'm betting you have access to a pigment based printer (something tells me you a Pixma Pro-1). Use InkPress vinyl to print your credit card image on. If you don't want to trust the InkPress adhesive, attach it to one of those flexible magnets. There's your method to print your own larger images.

http://www.amazon.com/Inkpress-AV851120-Specialty-Adhesive-8-5in/dp/B000HB4IWI/

As an aside - pigment based inks are used in professional ink jet printers. They are waterproof and produce stunning images. Something dye based ink jets can't do (your standard ink cartridge has dyes in them).

EVA said:
Studio460 - you missed the easiest way to do this - I'm betting you have access to a pigment based printer (something tells me you a Pixma Pro-1). Use InkPress vinyl to print your credit card image on.
That's sounds really interesting! I wasn't aware of this application--thanks! I've been sort of considering a cut-vinyl graphics solution for some more "conventional" graphic ideas (e.g., some variant of "racing stripes," but more subtle), but I haven't decided yet on a design. The InkPress media would be the best choice for the current application, though it may be somewhat difficult to acquire the EPS files I would need. Thanks for your suggestions!

Back