Charging Start and Charging Complete Times Stuck

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idriveacar

On the charging screen of my FFE, it has had the charging start time stuck at 5:07 Wed since February or March 2022. The complete charge time for fast charging sometimes updates, usually at least once per road trip. The battery % and 120v 240v time to complete are completely accurate. Has anyone experienced this issue? Is there a way to resolve this issue? Thanks

2017 Ford Focus Electric

On the charging screen of my FFE, it has had the charging start time stuck at 5:07 Wed since February or March 2022.
Did you happen to get the modem upgraded to 4G at that time?

I did and lost the ability of the car to implement Value Charging, and it's estimated time complete charging has nothing to do with reality. Ford was aware that the TCU software installed with the upgrade had a bug that messed this up, but had a fix by November 2022. It should have been fixed OTA, and some on here have reported getting the fix, but I didn't.

When my FFE was at a dealership for some A/C work, I asker the service department about getting the TCU update, even showing them a copy of Supplement #2 of Ford's Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 that describes the TCU problem for FFEs (attached). They looked into it but found Ford would not cover the cost.

I should have asked what the cost was, as I heard from someone else that their US dealership charged them $30. I probably would have paid it even though Ford should really cover fixing what they broke.

Attachments

• Ford Focus 4G Upgrade.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Did you happen to get the modem upgraded to 4G at that time?

I did and lost the ability of the car to implement Value Charging, and it's estimated time complete charging has nothing to do with reality. Ford was aware that the TCU software installed with the upgrade had a bug that messed this up, but had a fix by November 2022. It should have been fixed OTA, and some on here have reported getting the fix, but I didn't.

When my FFE was at a dealership for some A/C work, I asker the service department about getting the TCU update, even showing them a copy of Supplement #2 of Ford's Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09 that describes the TCU problem for FFEs (attached). They looked into it but found Ford would not cover the cost.

I should have asked what the cost was, as I heard from someone else that their US dealership charged them $30. I probably would have paid it even though Ford should really cover fixing what they broke.
I was not aware of a firmware update that was released post-November 2022. I updated my SYNC sometime before then so will revisit.

I did not get the 4G modem and do not plan to. I still have issues with go times and value charging+related.

And if anyone out there knows a source for the newer modems, I'd be interested in the vendor specifics!!

It's not a bare modern and SIM, it's a module purpose but for Ford. Even if you rolled your own, it relies on a SIM and data plan they control. Best guess is a private APN that feeds into the FordPass network.

Ford is the only source.

Is there still an estimate for 120V and 240V? My time and date charge estimate one doesn’t work, but those separate ones work for me. I just google the math like what’s 0.8 hours into minutes, and I set a timer.

Happy update! For $0, it works again!
Hi all, beginning today I noticed that my charging estimate has begun to work completely fine like nothing ever was wrong with it for the past 2 years. So, there are ONLY two NO-COST things I have done that could have triggered this change, so I wished to share:

1) Today, when I noticed my front bumper skid plate thing was low and the clips/pins holding it vibrated off, I took it to the Ford dealer and they had replaced the pins/zip-tied them or whatever, free of cost. Visually, it looks much better than it did this morning and back to how it usually looks every day prior. At one point, before taking it back to replace the pins, they plugged in the OBD reader or whatever that plug dealers use into the car to the lower-left of the steering wheel. I'm guessing it transferred data between devices and the car's radio tuner even seeks radio stations faster (milliseconds, but noticeable).

2) About 2 weeks ago I killed the 12V starter battery by leaving a power inverter on for 3 days once a road trip ended. I use a 300W pure sine inverter sitting under the hood on my road trips and for camping. So it went down to 6V or whatever, and I had used solar panels to recharge the battery (after disconnected the + terminal to ensure I 'broke' the connection from vehicle to battery) and following that one recharge process taking 1 hour, and then leaving the car to sit "ready to drive" for a few more hours in order for the DC-DC to recharge the battery to normal, it's all good and happy again. At that point in time, the typical "SYNC is monitoring you" message that pops up on the display had changed: it still said the same general thing, but the text included saying that there is a way to disable the monitoring, and to "notify occupants".

So that leads me to today. I arrived at a chargepoint fast charger (my first fast rapid since completing a road trip 2 weeks AKA 100 miles ago) and when checking the current battery %age it actually had showed the correct charge start time of 3:22PM Thu and was accurately updating every 5 seconds the "time to 80%" menu as well, which was varying due to the chargepoint accelerating the rate of charge slowly from 25kw to 47kw.

Is there still an estimate for 120V and 240V? My time and date charge estimate one doesn’t work, but those separate ones work for me. I just google the math like what’s 0.8 hours into minutes, and I set a timer.
(I just posted a large update and my system works again, unbeknownst to me that you had replied to my post)

Yes, the 120V and 240V time to full charge estimates have always worked for me, and never had issues being accurate besides at 99%. The 120v or 240v estimates would show somewhere between 0h and 0.3h at 99% or 100%. I only charge to 99% or 100% when on camping trips since the L2 charger and campsite were 30 miles roundtrip , a big deal for my small battery.

Sometimes it would say 0h for 120v and 0.3h for 240v and other times, the other way around, but I know this would just be a computational thing since the battery % is a computed estimate anyways

see attached photo, today is the first time I have seen it work properly in two years.
Clarification1: the "schedule off" and "Edit" buttons never did much of anything during the 2-year period which it didn't work. I could get to the "go times" schedule page sometimes, but never could do anything on the page itself.
Clarification2: the top right corner "fast charging" screen and such wouldn't update, besides the "time to 80%" once or twice per 500+ mile road trip would update. Once I unplugged the CCS though it would still show the "time to 80%" of that charge session even for weeks or months after

Attachments

• Working 28 March 2024.png
    Working 28 March 2024.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Back