charge time still remaining at 100% charge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edriver

I just bought a used 2013 FFE with 45000 miles. Noticed that at 100% charge, the big display shows 0.4 h left to charge at 240V and 2.5 h left to care at 120V. It also affects the go times, meaning that it completes the charge before I need it. I charge at 120V for now and the light on the cable shuts off when 100% is reached, even though time remains

With 45,000 miles it is quite possible that you have some battery degradation and the system is still attempting to charge it to the full amount. Thus all the estimates are for the full amount even though its "full" sometime earlier.

It is also possible, if you've only had it for a few days, that the dealer reset everything and thus the car lost all of its averaging data and is going off of the baseline when it was manufactured. If this is the case give it some time to adjust.

jmueller065 said:
With 45,000 miles it is quite possible that you have some battery degradation and the system is still attempting to charge it to the full amount. Thus all the estimates are for the full amount even though its "full" sometime earlier.

It is also possible, if you've only had it for a few days, that the dealer reset everything and thus the car lost all of its averaging data and is going off of the baseline when it was manufactured. If this is the case give it some time to adjust.

Thanks for these thoughts. The dealer (offleaseonly) did nothing with the car/computer. Even the original lessees phone connection as well as lifetime energy stats were still there. The only thing done to the car was that someone stole the the SD card on the dealer lot.
I also figured degradation as the culprit, like you said, but I did a couple of long drives and it seems to have about 18kWh left which should be normal to better than normal. Took it to the Ford dealer and showed them the charge readout. They said that "there is no service bulletin for that readout so nothing to worry about". They did however order new HV cables for the battery, which was a service bulletin. Probably unrelated though or what do you all think?

edriver said:
I just bought a used 2013 FFE with 45000 miles. Noticed that at 100% charge, the big display shows 0.4 h left to charge at 240V and 2.5 h left to care at 120V. It also affects the go times, meaning that it completes the charge before I need it. I charge at 120V for now and the light on the cable shuts off when 100% is reached, even though time remains
It's normal....the charger is probably balancing the cells which can take a long time. On my 220V charger I think the charge light actually blinks instead of a steady light

Not sure balancing takes place with 120V charger.

fbitz777 said:
edriver said:
It's normal....the charger is probably balancing the cells which can take a long time. On my 220V charger I think the charge light actually blinks instead of a steady light

Not sure balancing takes place with 120V charger.

it has stayed steady at 0.4 h (240V) and 2.5 h (110V) both times that I let it sit on full charge for a couple of hours. How long do you think I need to keep it like that before it finishes balancing and/or I see thesis remaining times decrease?

these times you mention are fine...when my car was new these times were getting me worried. I don't think I see them as often these days but again I have stopped paying attention because I now the charger is not really charging at full amps.

my 2016 car is 9000 miles now and I still get 20kwh of capacity ...my 2014 was only getting 18.5 to 19 at the same number of miles.

fbitz777 said:
these times you mention are fine...when my car was new these times were getting me worried. I don't think I see them as often these days but again I have stopped paying attention because I now the charger is not really charging at full amps.

my 2016 car is 9000 miles now and I still get 20kwh of capacity ...my 2014 was only getting 18.5 to 19 at the same number of miles.
If you have time to look again, please let me know how much charge time you have left at full now. I picked up my car last night after the second time at the dealer. They replicated the problem and are awaiting answer from Dearborn regarding how to treat the issue before possibly taking it back in for repair. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ford just came back with an answer: The two computers may be out of sync. The dealer received a repair instruction for this. Will bring it back to the dealer to have it repaired if the problem persists

Back