Charge capacity

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LADreyfus

I just brought my 2014 Ford Focus EV home from the dealer last night. I absolutely love it! But, it has yet to pass the intended test... my 50 mile (one way) commute to work. I am confident that it will work, but, I after charging at home today, will 100% charge I am only showing 67 mile at 100% charge, unlike the 79/80 that was showing at the dealer, just the day before! Is this simply the difference in using a level 2 EVSE system (dealer) versus the 110V Ford-supplied EVSE set-up? Or is this a function of not charging with a Go Time setting? (Dealer did, I did not). Or is there some variation in 100% charge range? BTW, the dealer charged the vehicle outside at ambient temps in the 4-50 F range. I charged in my garage at ~55-60 F. Would have thought that my condition would have been better. To me the big difference is the EVSE.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lawrence

LADreyfus said:
after charging at home today, will 100% charge I am only showing 67 mile at 100% charge, unlike the 79/80 that was showing at the dealer, just the day before!

I think I found my answer... Here:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1587

I need to get it out and drive it more the way I will be driving on my 50 mile commute!

I have a 50 mile commute also. I charge with 240 (level 2) at home and at work I can usually get to a level 1 (110) and there are several public level 2 chargers near work (Blink Sema ....).
The type of charger has no effect on your range it just takes longer with the level 1.
Go times do not change the range either (unless you really get it warm, but the max is 85 and I don't think that could drain your battery even with it plugged in).

After 3 months of commutes I started playing with the navigation system and found that the "Fastest" and the "ECO" routes take the same roads (highways) but if I used the shortest route it gets on a lot of secondary streets and now after some "tweaking" my route is now only 33 miles each way.
I can do that on one charge!
My Braking score suffers because of all the traffic lights and stop signs and it takes a little longer...but to be able to make it both ways is much better.
Other things:
We had two mornings with freezing temps and I had to charge at work to get home (just 30 mi left when I got in).
Lights use energy! I use more energy coming to work in the dark that I do going home in the light. I use 7.0 to 7.5 to get to work in the dark and 6.0 to 6.5 kwh to come home with the lights off.

LADreyfus said:
To me the big difference is the EVSE.
The EVSE you use will make absolutely no difference. The electricity from one EVSE is not magically better than that from another. Remember, the actual charger is on-board the car. The EVSE simply supplies electricity, and is not responsible in any way for interacting with the battery.

The reason your car is estimating less range now is almost surely because your drove it aggressively (drove 60+ mph on the freeway for a long time, drove up some hills, accelerated heavily, not getting much regen from braking, etc..). Learn how to use and interpret the energy displays, trip meter, etc. You'll also have to practice the best braking techniques for regen energy recovery, etc.. There is a learning curve to getting the most out of an EV.

But, in short, unless you consistently keep your average energy usage to about 250 Wh/mi, the car will estimate less than the nominal 76 miles of range. I keep mine around 240-250 Wh/mi and routinely see range estimates anywhere from the low 70s to low 80s. If your car is estimating range in the 60s, your average Wh/mi is probably well above 250.

After driving in some cold weather that past two weeks, I've found that if I set the inside temperature to 61 degrees and the fan on lowest setting, I barely nick range (even when the outside temperature was in the 30's). The minute I turn the temperature up to 63 degrees, there is a really big hit on range - around 10 to 15 miles. (yes I'm reading that off the guess-o-meter). You might think the heater isn't running, unless you have the cabin climate control turned off, it is probably using some electricity.

Those headlights don't take a lot of electricity at all. They are high intensity discharge lamps that use a lot less than halogen lamps.

As WattsUp said, learn how to brake with a bit more anticipation and shooting for that 100% score all the time. I've found the ride a ton more comfortable and it doesn't actually increase the amount of time in the car. Your passengers will love you for it.

I live on a hill so the last five minutes of every trip I make is uphill about 500 ft. I believe this results in the estimated range for my next trip being in the 60s instead of the 70s. Does this apply to you? (As I drive down the hill the next day my range estimate steadily increases for several miles).

Lmengoli said:
I live on a hill so the last five minutes of every trip I make is uphill about 500 ft. I believe this results in the estimated range for my next trip being in the 60s instead of the 70s. Does this apply to you? (As I drive down the hill the next day my range estimate steadily increases for several miles).
Yes, extended hilly driving (up or down, but especially down) seem to throw the range estimates off, sometimes wildly.

See here:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1174

Back