Car turns charger on and off every so often

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ellsworth said:
I'm curious: What EVSEs are those of you reporting this behavior employing? I'm using an Aerovironment EVSE-RS Plug-in model. I recently contacted Aerovironment, just to see if they were familiar with the symptom. I suspect that it's actually the FFE causing the symptoms. They've corresponded a few times, but are still looking into the issue.

Observing the symptoms to report to Aerovironment a few days ago, here was my report:

Here is a summary of conditions/symptoms:
  • Aerovironment EVSE-RS Plug-In
    2013 Ford Focus Electric
    Vehicle is parked outdoors, in driveway
    Outdoor temperature 69F, but cabin interior much warmer due to greenhousing
    38 hours since Focus Electric reported full charge, EVSE in "Vehicle Charging" state for 80-90 secs, then cycles to "Ready to Charge" for 1 to 2 seconds, then resumes "Vehicle Charging"
    "Trouble" LED briefly flickers before EVSE resumes charging
    No cycling behavior 28 hours after reporting full charge (10 hours ago)
    No accessories plugged into 12VDC or USB outlets
    No vehicle lights illuminated

An interesting if not necessarily meaningful result I got just yesterday: Disconnecting the J1772 plug from the FFE and replacing it did NOT change the cycling charger behavior - which returned within seconds of replacing the connector. However, I experimentally disconnected the AC power supply to the EVSE (after first unplugging the J1772 from the FFE) and restored it; then replugged the Focus. In this single case experiment, it halted the EVSE cycling until we drove the vehicle a few hours later. This may simply have been a case of a slightly longer disconnect, or perhaps there are some other chaotic aspects of the condition. But I thought I'd add this to the conversation.
Could it be that the car is charging the 12V battery during this time? Energi owners have observed that the car will charge the 12V battery from the wall after the HVB has finished charging.

pilotgeek said:
At various time while the car is plugged in and not charging it will wave up the EVSE for a minute or two, then drop the connection again. This can happen randomly when the car is either fully charged or waiting to charge. It also happens consistently if I open the door to the car.

Does anyone know what this is about?

Regards,
Neal
I just experienced this today. I have had my FFE approximately 60 days. I went on a small errand this morning. I left with 104 miles and returned with 96. I plugged the car in as I always do and it began to charge. Usually, this small a charge takes 20 minutes at most. So, I began waxing the car, and about 10 minutes into my work, my GE 240v wall station began to cycle; on for two minutes off for 15 seconds, then back on, and continued to do his ad infinitum.
I too had my keys in my pocket and thought that this may have been a contributing factor. I removed the keys and placed them 10ft from the car. This had no effect. I unplugged the car and started it a couple of times. But to no avail. The charger kept recycling. I then unplugged the car for fear of damaging the wall charger.
After finishing waxing the car, I replugged again, still recycling. I then removed the GE wall charger and replaced with a Leviton unit I have hung on the outside of my garage. We are a three car electric family, and no one wants to wait, but I digress. The Leviton Unit did not bang in and out like the relay in the GE wall unit. It just showed green power light and yellow charging in progress. 20 minutes later it was still charging. The light ring on the FFE was 3/4ths lit and never reached full charge. I then disconnected the plug to the car. And pressed the reset button to the wall unit. I waited 20 seconds or so and pressed the start button. Everything came back on as usual. I then plugged the car back into the charger.......and.....it still recycled. I then unplugged the car and went to have lunch.
After eating, I said to myself...self, why don't you look at the myfordapp and see what it says. First try read 92 miles, second, 100 miles, third try 100 miles...and never did it say battery is fully charged and I did not receive the email confirmation I usually receive when the car is ready.
So I thought, now is the time to call my local Ford dealer service dept. I identified myself to this dealer, as I am the first, and to this date, only FFE sold by this dealer. I was told to shut the circuit breaker to the charger. If that did not work, I would have to schedule an appointment for service. They have never heard of this problem before. How could they, I'm the one they have sold an electric to. They were as useful as a screen door in a submarine! Now I'm really dating myself!
So I went back to the garage and plugged the unit back into my FFE. I then started the car with the plug in and attempted to place in reverse. I got a screen message that said "car still plugged in". I shut the car down and restarted the car. The same screen appeared. The car would not move. I got out of the car and looked at the light ring. The fourth quadrant was now pulsing, when before it was dark. In 5 minutes the light ring completely lit, and then shut down. The wall unit relay tripped as usual and the cycling stopped. I checked my iPad app and it said battery fully charged 106 miles. And I received the email confirmation shortly there after.
So, for whatever reason, I was able to clear the glitch by plugging the car in, and attempting to start and drive off. It appeared to reset the charging cycle.
I hope this helps as it a most annoying situation to have! What would have caused this?

Back