Car drawing very little power, when charging with level 2

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPat

It's been a week since I got focus electric and I always charge it at work. We have level 2, 240v stations setup by Chargepoint. Couple days back when I plugged in the car I got a sms from Chargepoint that the car was drawing very little power after 15 mins. The iPhone app showed it was only drawing 0.098 kwh vs 5 to 6 kwh. Moved the car to another station and problem was solved. Today, I had same issue. Moved the car from station to station and it just wouldn't charge. Every 15 mins, I would get a sms saying car isn't drawing enough power. I don't have an value charge setup that would have caused this issue. All settings are at factory setting, nothing is setup. On the screen next to speedometer it will show "Charge Now" as selected when I was trying to charge, so no value charging.

I somehow made home with 4 mile left, plugged in the car with electric usage meter that tells you how much power is getting drawn using 120v cable. It shows 11.76 amps which is basically 1.41 kw. So, the car seems to be charging at 120v, but has issues with level 2, 240v. A co-worker has focus electric for almost 2 yrs and this person has never seen this happen. Is anyone else having this problem?

I tried calling the ford dealer to see if they can help trouble shoot, but all I got is 1-800 number for ford's roadside assistance.

Yeah, I am going to try charging stations close to my home and also planning to take it the dealer. Will update on what I find out.

Looks like the car is charging fine. Could be that the plug was not plugged in properly. Now I make sure it is pushed all the was in. Guys from Ford said that these public charger plugs can get loose due to high usage. If any of you see this issue make sure you push the plug in hard.

Back