Capacity every morning dropping hard (cold weather)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonySpice

Another massive drop today.

This is like watching my 401K during late 2008, I hope this stops soon.

sourcejockey said:
Have you tried setting "Go" times? The car will pre-heat off grid power, and the range won't be as horrid.

Stuck with 110V at the moment unfortunate, so tried the "go-time" thing but it doesn't seem to work - it looks like its trying to - but it never really heats up.

Are you using "go-time" with 110V?

Tony - I use 110 and go times. They work perfectly.

Make sure your car works with the MyFordMobile website - when you check your car, the amount of charge updates and it shows your car is plugged in and at home.

You should have a Go Time listed on the main home page under Charge Settings. Upcoming Go Time - and the first block will be summary of what will happen. For example:
Monday 6:10am
Cabin Temperature: 72°F

Check to be sure you set a temperature in the go time. There's a drop down box to say what temp you want, I think they are 65, 72, and 85 degrees.

You should see a message Go Times are not synced. Then about 3 or 4 minutes later a message that the Go Times are synced. (you can look at your notifications, the little call out box with a number in it at the top of the webpage)

When I'm connected to 120V and try to turn the heat all the way up, it never gets hot. As soon as I unplug the cord, it heats right up. The heat works fine on 240V. I have not tried to replicate this behavior, however, with GO times.

Thanks for the comment EVA, and I'll give it another shot.

But my experience was pretty much similar to sefs.

This may be because I have a 2012 model.

My impression is that 110 V charging is very limited. It's only about 1.5 KW. The cabin heater alone uses over 5 KW when running hard, so it would make sense that you get very little heating when attached to 110.

There have also been reports of the traction battery overheating when using a 110 V charger. It was speculated at the time that the thermal management system doesn't work (or works poorly) on 110. The one time a got an SSN message, I had earlier that day charged (on a hot day) with a 110 charger. Don't know if related, but I've always had my suspicions.

I often charge using a portable 220 charger (3 KW) and it works fine. If there is any way for you to either install a 220 EVSE or at least get a 220 outlet and a portable, I'd encourage it. Before I bought my FFE, I rented a Leaf for a few days and charged with 110. It was painfully slow...220 is a lot more convenient.

Finally some relief from the snow in NJ!

Range rebounded to 80 this AM.

Real unusual heatwave though, expect it not to last long.

Back