Brake Warning Light & Other Questions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

I have a brake malfunction warning that has been coming on every time I have driven the car since yesterday. Called the dealership, and they said they don't service that many Focus EV's, so had no clue. Any common problems with the braking system on this car. I heard of one guy reporting his brake booster was leaking.

Also, doesn't this car have a TPM system? I can't seem to find any screen showing where you can see the tire pressures.

And secondly, I have been reading about people saying how much their battery capacity has degraded since new. When the car was new, I could get about 20.1 kwh elapsed on the trip meter consumption reading from fully charged and reset, to when I ran out of battery. Is that kWh used reading of the trip odometer accurate? I know most people say only 19kWh or so is available. Which I'm sure is where I am now at 3400 miles, or perhaps a little less than 19Kwh. By comparison, my LEAF is down to 17.1kWh in 23000 miles of driving.

Where do you get these battery capacity readings. Do they have a Bluetooth ELM reader an App like they have for the LEAFs which list cell temps, voltages, charge %, capacity, etc? Or are people just reading the kWh used number from the dash trip reading like I am?

(For future reference, it probably would have been better to separate your questions into multiple topics/postings -- that could live their own lives -- rather than cram everything into a single posting.)

Re: brake warning light. Have you checked to make sure the problem isn't simply that one of your brake bulbs has burned out? That said, the manual warns that driving the car while this warning light is on can be dangerous, as it might indicate that the brakes are about to fail. I am surprised your dealer just shrugged instead of asking you to have the car towed in right away. (Guess it shows they really care about your safety.) :roll:

Re: TPM system. Yes, the car monitors the pressure of all four tires. But, there is only a single warning light that comes on if any one of the tires is below pressure (and you can also set MyFord Mobile to text or email you). There is no display of individualized tire pressures/warnings.

Re: battery degradation. Keep in mind that capacity can vary a lot with ambient temperature. Thus, you may only be seeing a seasonal difference in capacity (generally, more in warmer weather, less in colder). Most people (including me) have not seen any perceptible FFE battery degradation even after two years.

Re: battery readings. Yes, most people just use the trip meter. There are a few people using OBD readers and associated software to get more advanced information. Search these forums for "OBD".

WattsUp said:
(For future reference, it probably would have been better to separate your questions into multiple topics/postings -- that could live their own lives -- rather than cram everything into a single posting.)

Re: brake warning light. Have you checked to make sure the problem isn't simply that one of your brake bulbs has burned out? That said, the manual warns that driving the car while this warning light is on can be dangerous, as it might indicate that the brakes are about to fail. I am surprised your dealer just shrugged instead of asking you to have the car towed in right away. (Guess it shows they really care about your safety.) :roll:

Re: TPM system. Yes, the car monitors the pressure of all four tires. But, there is only a single warning light that comes on if any one of the tires is below pressure (and you can also set MyFord Mobile to text or email you). There is no display of individualized tire pressures/warnings.

Re: battery degradation. Keep in mind that capacity can vary a lot with ambient temperature. Thus, you may only be seeing a seasonal difference in capacity (generally, more in warmer weather, less in colder). Most people (including me) have not seen any perceptible FFE battery degradation even after two years.

Re: battery readings. Yes, most people just use the trip meter. There are a few people using OBD readers and associated software to get more advanced information. Search these forums for "OBD".

Thanks...appreciate the help. I did run the vehicle health report and went online to see what it said. Yes it gave the grave warnings but did not give a technical troubleshooting code other than make sure the parking brake or brake fluid wasn't the issue. I dont know why it makes you go online rather than just giving you codes on the car display.

My LEAF doesn't display the actual tire pressure either, but my LEAF OBD app shows each tire's pressure on my phone. Also the LEAF and my BMWs have metal valve stems because of the attached TPMS sensors. I dont know why the Focus is rubber.

If you have an OBD reader or can borrow one that will work on the Focus, check the DTC readout for a brake booster pressure sensor error. I found that on mine, checked the sensor connector, and found brake fluid in the connector. As you are facing the booster, the sensor is located on the lower left.

ELROY said:
Thanks...appreciate the help. I did run the vehicle health report and went online to see what it said. Yes it gave the grave warnings but did not give a technical troubleshooting code other than make sure the parking brake or brake fluid wasn't the issue. I dont know why it makes you go online rather than just giving you codes on the car display.
And, did you check for a burned out bulb?

More cars have rubber valve stems with TPMS than metal. If Ford put metal stems on the FFE, they would have to make different wheels than they do for all their other cars.

I saw brake fluid leaking out of the booster by the pressure switch. At the dealership now. Safety item, so it would be nice if I could get a loan car.

ELROY said:
I have a brake malfunction warning that has been coming on every time I have driven the car since yesterday. Called the dealership, and they said they don't service that many Focus EV's, so had no clue.

They have no clue how to service the brakes on a Focus??? WTF!

Steve0512 said:
ELROY said:
I have a brake malfunction warning that has been coming on every time I have driven the car since yesterday. Called the dealership, and they said they don't service that many Focus EV's, so had no clue.

They have no clue how to service the brakes on a Focus??? WTF!

Apparently the fluid was dripping on the sensor from the leaking lid seal. Supposed to be a SIB. The sensor was damaged and has to replaced. Part ordered.

Back