Bosch Level 2 / 30Amp charger

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBGuy

Bosch Automotive has announced a sub-$600 ($593) 30 Amp, Level 2 charger:

http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

According to the representative I spoke with on 24 May, they are Made in the USA (Michigan) and will be available in mid to late June, 2013.

HBGuy
Huntington Beach, CA

2013 FFE Ice Storm with leather interior

Bosch_Bollard_CMYK%20working.png

I did noticed that Bosch also makes a commercial charging station.
http://www.pluginnow.com/content/power-xpress-bollard

This unit may be suitable for use at business or location were the general public may have access. Or a location were vandalism maybe a concern.
It may be possible to retrofit RFDI card reader to limit usage to card holders.

This outdoor charging station is un restricted access.
It uses a steel pipe in the construction of the charging station.
An optional cap can be ordered to cover the bolts that are used to bolt it down.
The cord is double strained reliefed. You would have to back a car into it to damage this charging station.
Frankly I'm wonering how they can sell this thing for less than $1600.

Sorry, I actually meant that I was interested in the consumer model that I would put in my garage at home. Still the 30 amp version though. Anyone have experience with these? I think they are brand new this month?

Thanks.

OK, I got my FFE on 7/12/13, finally chose the Bosch EVSE PowerMax 30/18' unit, ordered it, waited, waited, called, called, waited, called, finally got an e-mail that it shipped yesterday and to be delivered this coming Monday (7/29/13).
When ordering, you go through a question and interrogation session, and told that a "Certified" Bosch approved electrician will contact you to give you an estimate to install.
Without it, it's only 1 year warranty, with their install, it's a 3 year. I call it a forced warranty extension for a price.
Here is the letter:

Thank you for the opportunity to submit an estimate to install a 240V charging station!

We know that charging your EV is a large part of your electric vehicle experience, and a new 240V charge station will thoroughly enhance your electric vehicle experience. We are pleased to present you with the attached estimate.

Your Bosch Installation will include:

✓ 3 year extended installation warranty service from date of installation
✓ 3 year technical support (1-877-805-3873)
✓ No installation labor fee for charging station repair during the warranty period
✓ Local Certified Electrical Contractor installation and support
✓ Installation completed to current NEC standards
✓ Convenient payment terms – VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover

Please keep in mind the following:

✓ Installation price includes all installation labor, materials, permitting and fees
✓ All applicable sales taxes are additional
✓ If this estimate is based on your pre-installation survey only, please note that it is subject to change based on a site review at the time of installation
✓ Any customer change in requirements from this estimate can alter the price
✓ Price is valid for thirty (30) days from the date on this estimate
✓ Please allow reasonable time to schedule the charging station shipment installation
✓ An adult 18 years of age or older who is knowledgeable about the desired location of the charge station must be present at your home during the entire appointment

We appreciate your interest and the opportunity to present our estimate, and thank you for considering Bosch for your 240V charging needs.

Please review your estimate and respond to this email indicating your acceptance so that we may continue your installation process.

If you have any questions, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Here is the estimate:
Furnish and install 30A 240V dedicated power through unfinished basement, up into garage and mount unit on outside wall to the right of the garage.
Labor & Materials: 836.00
Permit Fee: 150.00
Total 986.00

So Bosch wants to charge me $836 to get this installed and get a 3 year warranty.
One electrician gave me a cost of $550 installed + the permit.
Another electrician (friend) is doing it for $300 labor and materials.
Using my American Express to get 2 years on the unit and save $500+......
I'll report back as to the performance after it's installed.

That's why I liked the leviton. You just plug it into a wall outlet that an electrician has installed. And as long as you dont break open the lock tag it has a 3 yr warranty.

Back