Bosch 30 amp charger on 10 gauge wire?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusing

Can I connect the Bosch Powermax which claims an input of 30 amps on 10 gauge wires running about 50 feet?

If you search for wire gage amps one of the results is https://www.icmag.com/modules/Tutorials/ElectricalSafety/1655.htm

which indicates you should use #8 gage

I seem to remember from the manual that it is important to use copper *not* aluminum wiring as well.

Copper wire has less resistance than aluminum wire. Using copper will deliver more voltage to the car. Copper also maintains a better electrical connection overtime. 10 gauge wire is rated for a maximum breaker of 30 amps.
Which translates into a maximum 24 amp charge rate. An 8 gauge wire with a temperature rating of 75 C or higher can handle a breaker rated at 50 amps, and can handle a charge rate up to 40 amps.

robochimp said:
I seem to remember from the manual that it is important to use copper *not* aluminum wiring as well.
But, it is important to NOT mix copper and aluminum wiring incorrectly. You will need to take special precautions otherwise your new copper/aluminum connections could oxidize, lead to high resistances, get hot, and possibly cause a fire.

Best advice, hire an electrician.

When my EVSE was installed the electrician ran aluminum from the meter through the basement into a junction in the garage where it switches to copper into a conduit through the garage and finally to the EVSE.

If I remember correctly he had a special terminator with aluminum on one side and copper on the other which was coated with an anti-corrosive paste. Then when the wires were connected up it was wrapped with a special tape which was then covered with standard black electrical tape.

Back