Blink charging rate change...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what do you do different to get higher driver scores if the braking score is already good?
Use only very light accelerator pedal actions with extremely slow acceleration where required?

NightHawk said:
So what do you do different to get higher driver scores if the braking score is already good?
Use only very light accelerator pedal actions with extremely slow acceleration where required?
Have you found the graph (on the left-hand dash display) that shows your acceleration, braking, and cruising scores? It has three blue bars. You want the bars to extend all the way to the right (100%). If your brake scores are very good, but your overall driving score could be better, then your the other two scores must need some work.

But, yes, smooth, gradual acceleration will increase your acceleration score and maintaining steady speeds (without fluctuations on the accelerator) will increase your cruising score. Using the cruise control makes it easy to achieve a high cruising score. I use it everywhere.

Yep my cruising and braking score bars are pretty high (bar blue far to the right) so its just the acceleration score I could see improvement needed.
But its hard to not use the accelerator pedal at all when you have to go up hills a lot!

WattsUp said:
jonessoda said:
So now that EVs are starting to become more common, I guess it's time to start gouging people?
They're a business and will charge what the market will bear.

Also, public charging stations are a convenience... with a commensurate "convenience fee". They aren't meant to be "the" way to charge your car, nor the cheapest way. That's what your home EVSE is for.

That said, I'm all for lower rates. Perhaps an increased prevalence of home charging over time will force public stations to lower their prices.

Did you hear pge just submitted to the cpuc to install 25000 chargers in their service territory? I'm sure all pge payment centers and some construction yards will have them

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/10/pge-willing-to-make-huge-investment-in-ev-charging-stations/

The price they charge here ($.79/kW) is double the home rate ($.34/kW) and their chargers are almost always empty, so that cannot be good for business. Some EVs will pretend to charge by plugging in just to use the parking space. I know many people with EVs here that have solar power at home, so they are set. There are lots of free charging spaces at the malls that are always busy and paid for by advertisements which seems to works well since people are shopping. The biggest problem is the EVs that don't move after the charge is complete and take up the parking spot for hours and make it unavailable for other EVs to charge. The parking lot attendants will give a ticket if asked but they can tow the car .. there are signs saying it is for active charging. I'm not sure how this problem can be solved since there are more EVs on the road and I hate that the free charging will be lost by a few bad actors :(

kehaulani said:
Some EVs will pretend to charge by plugging in just to use the parking space.
How is it possible to do that? On the ChargePoint stations around here you cannot access the J1772 plug until you've swiped your card to pay for the station, thus anyone who is plugged in would be charging unless the car somehow prevented it.

hybridbear said:
kehaulani said:
Some EVs will pretend to charge by plugging in just to use the parking space.
How is it possible to do that?
Simple, swipe your car to release the handle, then immediately stop the session (for example, using the ChargePoint phone app). It may also be possible to stop the session by simply swiping your card again (though I haven't tried this). Either way, then just stick the (inactive) handle into your car and walk away (tee-hee). Of course, if the car has some feature where it will refuse to charge, that would work too.

That said, I don't know how you'd escape any "minimum" per-session fee that the station might apply (just for starting the session). Then again, such a (smallish) fee might be worth it to some people for be able to park in the spot.

The blink stations I've seen in the LA area at a couple of different locations don't have a locking handle, so it's easy to "cheat". Perhaps the ones in Hawaii are similar.

But if you stop a Chargepoint recharge session it shows on display as inactive, which at that point, I will take the charger and put it into my car.

Back