Be careful where you plug in!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjam3 said:
My car was spit on once I imagine just because it's an electric. Another time somebody pulled out the charging cord
Both of these events could have easily been just "stupid kids", who don't really know why they are spitting on a car, or pulling a plug.

pjam3 said:
Another time somebody pulled out the charging cord and being I was only in the store for like 20 minutes and came out and nobody else was around charging, who knows. I just know there are becoming certain places you try to blend in and not stir trouble with those who wished technology would disappear.
Did you get the alert from MFM about the unplug while charging to know that it had happened before you left the store?

hybridbear said:
pjam3 said:
Another time somebody pulled out the charging cord and being I was only in the store for like 20 minutes and came out and nobody else was around charging, who knows. I just know there are becoming certain places you try to blend in and not stir trouble with those who wished technology would disappear.
Did you get the alert from MFM about the unplug while charging to know that it had happened before you left the store?

I have two young kids, I'm not glued to my phone. So when I can check it, yeah, but most of the time, I have other priorities.

WattsUp said:
pjam3 said:
My car was spit on once I imagine just because it's an electric. Another time somebody pulled out the charging cord
Both of these events could have easily been just "stupid kids", who don't really know why they are spitting on a car, or pulling a plug.

I agree this could be anything in my case. But I do know there have been a few Tesla's that have been damaged because they were Tesla's. Up in San Fran, there have been stupid Smart Cars flipped over because they were smart cars.

it might be stupid, but there is a growing sub-culture who is against anything technology. And it's far worse in places like San Fran and Silicon valley where some Techies have had people find their homes and yell at them. Other cases where people with google glasses go the glasses torn off their faces and busted.

And there was a charging station around me that got trashed and painted. Could it have been kids? maybe, but a lot of people just ignore the truth on what's going on. When you work in technology and see and hear and get warnings about certain things, you have a different perspective than somebody who is oblivious to what's happening.

Years ago people would key and scratch Hummers. In a way it's about money. People who buy Electric cars at this point most likely have a few extra bucks. So add the anti-technology and hate the rich sub-culture, you probably should watch where you go and charge.

pjam3 said:
hybridbear said:
pjam3 said:

I have two young kids, I'm not glued to my phone. So when I can check it, yeah, but most of the time, I have other priorities.

You realize you can have My Ford Mobile send you a text message when something goes wrong with charging your car? You don't have to watch your phone to see that message arrive. Your phone makes noise when it gets a text message, no need to be distracted from your duty with your children.

You realize you can have My Ford Mobile send you a text message when something goes wrong with charging your car? You don't have to watch your phone to see that message arrive. Your phone makes noise when it gets a text message, no need to be distracted from your duty with your children.

I receive texts/email notifications and updates from Blink, ChargePoint, EvGo, MyFord, and a ton of other things for when I'm charging, how long, how much, if it's unplugged and so on. And my phone remains in my pocket and I've silenced 99.9 percent of my notifications because I really don't need to get them every second of every day. I check them when I check them. I spend most of my working hours on technology, I sure don't need it when I'm out with my kids.

It is amazing to me watching everybody really glued to their tablets and phones as their kids run off. And suddenly the parent finally looks up and are shocked. If this was a once in a while thing, not an issue. It's an every person thing all the time these days and to me it's stupid. I had to grab some little boys hand once because he almost ran out into the street. I mean he really would have been seriously injured or hurt. Where was the mother? Glued to her phone. It doesn't take much sometimes.

So yeah, I'd rather talk to my oldest son and let him do his own shopping with his own little cart. I rather tell my youngest son what everything is. It might not mean anything, but in reality, they are far more interesting than grabbing a phone from my pocket to check 50 new notifications. And believe me I get many notifications for various things. And when they aren't around, I'm on my phone and tablet and laptop all the time for work, life, and everything else.

I'm not sure what the situation is in other places, but where I"m at, there are probably 50 cars for every charging station. Not exactly a good scenario. It's just the way it is in quite a few places.

But back to people keying or vandalizing EVs & Hybrids. It is happening.

http://insideevs.com/video-vandals-targeting-hybrids-and-evs-in-la-jolla-california/

pjam3 said:
Its been happening all the time. Not sure why you're noticing "more" of it. There has always been an "anti-green" portion of the population and some of them, er, "express" themselves by destroying property (just like there is the "green" people keying hummers in the dealer lots not to long ago, or burning down new home construction).

Note that its one of the reasons many get an FFE instead of the bug-eyed Leaf...it doesn't scream "hey I'm an EV" (especially if you remove the badges).

jmueller065 said:
pjam3 said:
Its been happening all the time. Not sure why you're noticing "more" of it. There has always been an "anti-green" portion of the population and some of them, er, "express" themselves by destroying property (just like there is the "green" people keying hummers in the dealer lots not to long ago, or burning down new home construction).

Note that its one of the reasons many get an FFE instead of the bug-eyed Leaf...it doesn't scream "hey I'm an EV" (especially if you remove the badges).

I do think the FFE is a 'sneaky' EV in that most people won't know it's an EV unless they were really looking or knew about the car. But cars like the Roadster, Model S, Fischer Karma(there are a few out here I've seen now and again), the new BMW i3 and i8, even Volt pretty much scream Green. And the Prius was like the most popular cars out here for a long time, probably still are and quite a few celebrities drive them. Maybe that's part of the hatred. Drive a Prius, preach green, but fly around the world on private corporate jets just to go to some party. I can see how people find that hypocritical.

Ford should have FFE-only color options. Something like Honda's old Citrus for the first-generation Insight, or some kind of ozone blue.

That would let you blend in if you want, and stick out if you want.

Kakkerlak said:
Ford should have FFE-only color options. Something like Honda's old Citrus for the first-generation Insight, or some kind of ozone blue.

That would let you blend in if you want, and stick out if you want.
Isn't Ice Storm a hybrid/electric vehicle color only? Ice Storm is only available on the Fusion Hybrid/Energi, not gas Fusions. It's also available on the C-Max & Focus Electric. I haven't seen it on any other Ford vehicles. Is it offered on any other vehicles?

hybridbear said:
Isn't Ice Storm a hybrid/electric vehicle color only? Ice Storm is only available on the Fusion Hybrid/Energi, not gas Fusions. It's also available on the C-Max & Focus Electric. I haven't seen it on any other Ford vehicles. Is it offered on any other vehicles?
Yes, it's a hybrid/EV only color. But it doesn't have to be a plug-in.

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
Yes, it's a hybrid/EV only color. But it doesn't have to be a plug-in.
What I meant was, do gas Focuses (Focii) come in Ice Storm? Or just the Focus Electric? The gas Fusions do not come in Ice Storm, only the hybrid/Energi Fusion does.

jmueller065 said:
You cannot build an ICE Focus in Ice Storm color on Ford's website.
Have past Model Years allowed you to get the ICE Focus in Ice Storm? I ask because I've seen a few Ice Storm Focuses around Mpls and I can't believe that they're all electrics. I've seen at least 3 or 4, perhaps some was the same vehicle multiple times. Whenever I see one I try to look closely at it to tell if it's electric and so far I have never had the opportunity to see the left front fender area to tell if there's a charge port. It would be cool to know that those were Focus Electrics.

jmueller065 said:
Yes you could--my father has a 2013 Ice Storm (don't think the color was called that) ICE Focus.
The Ford.com 2013 Focus build & price only shows "Blue Candy Metallic" for blue on an ICE Focus. That's what color your FFE is, right?

Don't know if this link will work or not, but here it is: http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus?branding=1&lang=en#/Exterior/Config[|Ford|Focus|2013|1|1.|.P3N..Z9...HAT.GAS.44W.RET.TAT.]

I don't think you can click it but you might be able to copy & paste it into your browser.

Yes my FFE is Blue Candy, our ICE Focus is Red Candy. It is possible that my father's Focus is a 2012.
In 2012 the color was called "Frosted Glass":
http://www.cars.com/ford/focus/2012/colors

jmueller065 said:
Yes my FFE is Blue Candy, our ICE Focus is Red Candy. It is possible that my father's Focus is a 2012.
In 2012 the color was called "Frosted Glass":
http://www.cars.com/ford/focus/2012/colors
Aha! I think that's probably the color Focus that I have seen. It's tough to tell if it's the Focus EV or not when I can only see the car from the back & the right side.

hybridbear said:
Aha! I think that's probably the color Focus that I have seen. It's tough to tell if it's the Focus EV or not when I can only see the car from the back & the right side.
The FFE has giant "Electric" badges on the front doors (both sides). AFAIK, no ICE Focus has badges there.

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
The FFE has giant "Electric" badges on the front doors (both sides). AFAIK, no ICE Focus has badges there.
I was looking for badging, the distinctive front end & the charging port, but I was too far away to see badges.

Back