Battery degradation???

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evsarethefuture

Hello I am new to the forum, but I have owned an FFE for about nine months now. For the past two months, I have noticed that my battery will drop from 100% to 89% after I have only used 1.6kWh, and if 1.6kWh is 11% of my battery capacity, than that means that my battery capacity is under 16kWh. I'm aware that weather plays a significant role in range, but I live in SoCal and it's been on average about the low to mid 70's. Even on days when its been 85 degrees, my battery will drop from 100% to 90% at the 1.6kWh mark. Is this normal for an FFE or should I take my vehicle into the dealer for capacity loss?
Thank You.

That seems to be characteristic. A lot of drop in the first few miles. It might even be related to how long after charging you do the test.

If you're worried, you can run the battery to near exhaustion and measure the available energy using the trip meter..extrapolate to zero %. Better yet note the percentage battery and energy consumed at a dozen points along your route...plot charge consumed vs % battery and you will probably see normal capacity, which I believe is around 19 kWh.

A lot of us have seen the same thing and had the same worry, but it's a false alarm.

Back