Average Wh/m

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman

I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask. I've owned my FFE for about 3 weeks now and I drive it much like I drove my ICE vehicle. My commute is 32 miles round trip with about 28 of those highway. I drive between 65 and 75 mph both ways. Before it got cold I was averaging around 240-275 Wh/m. Now that it is cold (below freezing all day today) I'm averaging 350-400 Wh/m cause I like it warm (yes I do use go times). I'm not concerned about the loss in range, I still end up with 25-30 miles left on the GOM when I get home. The question I have is why on MFM do the regional averages for my region show ~100 Wh/m? I'm assuming that is just bogus data. I've never gotten close to that for any trip except maybe backing out of the garage.

As I thought. However, I've even seen the state of charge be erroneous. Twice now MFM indicated I had 45-50 miles range at full charge when the car reported the normal 75-80 when I left the next morning.

Snowman said:
As I thought. However, I've even seen the state of charge be erroneous. Twice now MFM indicated I had 45-50 miles range at full charge when the car reported the normal 75-80 when I left the next morning.
Is it possible that the app hadn't updated successfully and you were looking at stale data? When the update succeeds, I've never seen the SOC reported by MFM app or website be incorrect.

Actually, I take that back... it was incorrect one time, but wildly so. One time, MFM said my car had 255 miles of range even though the update was succeeding, which seemed like a bug (255 is one of those "computer numbers" that might show up when data is invalid or uninitialized). But, I never experienced that again.

Snowman said:
I've never seen it not match by that amount; however, note that the car can report range based on the key used to run the vehicle. In otherwords, it is programmed to used different Wh/mi numbers based on driver or perhaps other things; hence "guess-0-meter".

As you use the car more, you be more familiar with the range; regardless of what the range value says.

Snowman said:
If you leave the HVAC on when you turn the car off then the range estimate on MFM is based on the climate control use. If you have climate control off but remote start the car with HVAC set to Auto for remote start the MFM range estimate will update assuming that you're going to drive with the HVAC on at 72 (the setting used by remote start on Auto). When you get in the car and start it the HVAC is off which causes the dash estimate to be significantly higher than the phone app showed after you remote started. We often see a 25-30 mile range drop (~30%) when turning on the HVAC. In the summer I often saw 95-100 miles on a full charge on the GOM. Now it's about 60-65 with the HVAC on and 90 with it off.

All good suggestions thanks. It was not a refresh issue since I looked on multiple devices. I normally turn off the HVAC when I leave the car but that certainly could have been the issue I was seeing. I will monitor that.

Back