Auto-dimming mirror and Homelink on FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBGuy

My FFE was not equipped with either HomeLink or an Auto-dimming mirror when I purchased it from the dealer. I was informed that a special wiring harness needs to be available in order for one or both to be installed.

Has anyone reading this been able to successfully install either, after they took delivery of their FFE? Are there any non-Ford alternatives available?

2013 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm
Clipper Creek Level 2 Charger

I've heard of someone installing the HomeLink visor themselves no problem. The same harness that powers the normal visor (vanity lamps) is used for the HomeLink visor. I'm thinking of doing it myself.

You can find the visors online at Ford parts sites (usually dealer sites) for around $70-80. Apparently, installation is a 10-minute job if you know what you're doing, so don't let a dealer tell you that it's "not possible" or charge you $300 for installation. It is no big deal. It's like replacing a visor. No wait, it is exactly like replacing a visor. ;)

Thanks, Watts-up. The dealer I took my FFE to said that if there was no wiring harness installed, it was very difficult if not impossible to install. I'm not automotive-technical enough to know whether I'm being told the truth or if its a ploy. I trust the dealer, but they are in business to make money.

I've also seen Auto-dimming GENTEX and CIPA mirrors on Amazon, but each requires a connection to the car's electrical system. My dealer was leary of attempting an installation because it's an FFE. Can I assume that if a mirror with HomeLink is available for the Focus Titanium - which is what an FFE is, more or less - that it should work in the FFE? Or is there something fundamentally different about its wiring?

And last but not least, if the dealer can't/won't install it, any suggestions as to an aftermarket source for installation?

Back