April EV Sales

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083871_april-plug-in-electric-car-sales

Ford sold 147 of its Focus Electric hatchback, down on the 180 it sold last month, bringing the total for the first third of the year to an unimpressive 466.

I think the entire press view of the FFE is backwards: My contention is that Ford only sold 147 FFE's in April because Ford only BUILT 147 FFE's in April (e.g. they are selling every one they build). If Ford would build more they would sell more--granted my opinion but this is my impression after talking with my sales person and just looking at the Nissan Leaf sales.

Come on: If you were to walk into a dealership ask for a car and get: "We don't have one, we can't get one from a nearby dealer: you have to order one and it will take 3+ months to get" How many people would stick with that and actually go through with the purchase? (I'm sure many here will do as I am--mine will be built the week of 5/13--but the general car buying public...nope)

Granted it seems that there are still many available at dealers on the coasts as the "Leasing" thread implies.

Ok the price also comes into play but if you're leasing the lease deals are working out to Leaf level pricing.

Another speculation: I wonder if Ford simply isn't comfortable with cranking up production yet (given all the SSN issues we've seen).

I'm one of the 147 sold in April, but my car had been at a couple of dealers since Nov 2012. I don't think Ford is eager to sell too many FFEs.. aren't they selling them at a loss? And I don't think the Ford dealer I bought it from is going to bother to order another to replace. They will probably just offer the C-Max and Fusion Energi.

I agree with francis. I don't think the press view is that they only sold 147 because the car isn't popular- the press view is that Ford just doesn't want to sell many. And that's why they're not building any more than 150 a month. I'm sure they can build 10 times as many as they do, but if they aren't marketing the thing, they are happy to build a few and let the interested do the work to find one.
What was the quote from Ford a few months ago, Pure EVs won't work for most people or something like that? Do they go around saying, "you know, most people don't really need a vehicle as enormous as an Expedition", or "a mustang isn't really practical for a family"? When I hear commercials for the Leaf on the radio, it seems so simple and obvious to throw the "no gas" thing at people as they are inching along their commutes.

Back