AAA cold weather study

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that too, but there is no mention in the article about their testing methodology. It is very possible, like the other EV comparison report, that they simply just drove them around with the heat set to 80F and found: "Wow look how much juice they use up!"

From what I see in their findings I could make a guess at what condition the test were taken.
The cars were driven at about 45 to 50 MPH. This is because of the 105 mile range they found at 75 degrees test.
Cabin climate was most likely set to 75 degrees for both the hot and cold test. In the article they didn't break down how each vehicle did in the test. I would expect about a 20% reduction in battery capacity when it hits 32 degrees. You could see as much as a 35% reduction in battery capacity if it drops down to 10 degrees. The bulk of the range reduction is by use of the climate control heating the cabin to 75 degrees. Most people don't have the climate control set at 75 degrees in the winter in any car. It would be uncomfortable wearing a winter coat under these conditions.

From an article in Torque New giving more details:

The test vehicles were driven on a dynamometer simulating city driving conditions in a climate-controlled room at 20 degrees, 75 degrees, and 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The average range of the vehicles was 105 miles at 75 degrees, but it dropped a shocking 57% to just 43 miles at 20 degrees and 33% to 69 miles at 95 degrees. According to Greg Brannon, the director of automotive engineering at AAA, "We expected degradation in the range of vehicles in both cold and hot climates, but we did not expect the degradation we saw."

Don’t hit the panic button just yet. It is known that cold and hot weather shorten EV range – below about 68 degrees Fahrenheit, battery life decreases linearly with temperature. Some Leaf drivers in extremely hot climates, particularly Arizona, have seen drastic drops in range due to the air-cooled battery of older and current Leaf models. Nissan is addressing this issue. However, cold and hot weather performance depend on many factors and vary in the real world. Driving style and use of heating or air conditioning significantly impact range.

Back in December, Green Car Reports published data from FleetCarma, a company that tracks data from fleet managers and private owners. They monitored more than 7,000 Nissan Leaf trips to determine real-world range and found that the average range at 25 degrees Fahrenheit was approximately 60 miles, or about a 21% drop from the ideal range of 76 miles. Even at 0 degrees the average range was still only 37% less than ideal at 48 miles. With temperatures of 95 degrees, the average Leaf range was about 56 miles, or a 26% drop from the range at ideal temperatures between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Do we know anything about the pre-soak? Based on what we are saying here, we seem to think the driving test itself takes an hour or two at most (50-100 miles at 50 or so MPH).

I would expect that the key advantage of the TMS is that it keeps the battery temperature within bounds prior to departure. In the ensuing hour or two, thermal capacity and insulation of the battery pack would, I imagine, not allow the battery to heat or cool dramatically.

So the test that would interest me (and I don't know whether or not the AAA test worked this way) would be to leave the car plugged in and charging for 8 hours at the test temperature, precondition the car to some stated temperature (also on mains power) and then run the test, also at the test temperature. I suspect one would see a smaller variation, particularly at low temperature.

And the cabin HVAC conditions should be noted.

I suspect that the vehicle was not plugged in while the vehicle was cold or heat soaking prior to the range test.
I think the battery heating system doesn't heat the battery above 40 F. Keeping the battery at 70 F around the clock would use a lot of energy. The only time it may heat the battery to higher level would be when charging is occurring, or a go time is set. This is only a guess.

My reading of performance curves says that typical lithium batteries actually produce a little more energy at 45 C (113 F) than at 25 C (77 F); and more yet at 60 C (140).

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/ACA4000CE254-NCR18650A.pdf

So if the AAA study showed that range was down 33% from 75 F to 95 F, I don't see how this is explained by battery temperature alone. It must involve hard-running of the air conditioning or some other factor.

jeffand said:
From what I see in their findings I could make a guess at what condition the test were taken.
The cars were driven at about 45 to 50 MPH. This is because of the 105 mile range they found at 75 degrees test.
Cabin climate was most likely set to 75 degrees for both the hot and cold test. In the article they didn't break down how each vehicle did in the test. I would expect about a 20% reduction in battery capacity when it hits 32 degrees. You could see as much as a 35% reduction in battery capacity if it drops down to 10 degrees. The bulk of the range reduction is by use of the climate control heating the cabin to 75 degrees. Most people don't have the climate control set at 75 degrees in the winter in any car. It would be uncomfortable wearing a winter coat under these conditions.

I do not think the vehicles were driven at 45-50mph. The article says the test mimicked city driving, stop-and-go, which to me means 20-30 mph average. Plus I never get 105 miles range driving 50mph, at any temperature. Do you? I run about 225 Wh/mi in ideal temps driving 50, for maybe 90 miles range at best.
At 20f ambient, setting climate control to 66f causes just about as much range hit as setting it to 75f. Either way your car has to heat air all but the 10 minutes or so that your preconditioning heat lasts.

michael said:
Do we know anything about the pre-soak? Based on what we are saying here, we seem to think the driving test itself takes an hour or two at most (50-100 miles at 50 or so MPH).

I would expect that the key advantage of the TMS is that it keeps the battery temperature within bounds prior to departure. In the ensuing hour or two, thermal capacity and insulation of the battery pack would, I imagine, not allow the battery to heat or cool dramatically.

So the test that would interest me (and I don't know whether or not the AAA test worked this way) would be to leave the car plugged in and charging for 8 hours at the test temperature, precondition the car to some stated temperature (also on mains power) and then run the test, also at the test temperature. I suspect one would see a smaller variation, particularly at low temperature.

And the cabin HVAC conditions should be noted.

I've sort of "run the test" that would interest you and my results are in line with the AAA results:
I leave my car plugged in overnight in an unheated detached garage, with a go-time preconditioning set for my morning departure. My morning drives have been at 20f or below pretty much from December to last week. Cabin heating is set to 66f when I start the car.
My starting range is 45-50 miles, whereas same driving gets me 90-105 in the summer without AC. So that's a 50%-plus drop. Yes it's a guess, and I don't drive down to empty in winter to see if the guess is accurate, but I do drive down to 50% SOC using ~24 miles so I think the guess is pretty accurate.

Two thoughts about this observation:

1. The key reasons AAA and I see such dramatic range reduction in these very cold conditions are that we use cabin heating, and we do city driving. In "normal" conditions when cabin heating is not engaged, city driving is extremely efficient-- minimal energy use occurs while the vehicle is stopped in traffic, little energy is used when driving at modest surface street speeds, and regenerative braking kicks in often. But when cabin heating is engaged, city driving becomes quite inefficient. There is a significant constant draw, whether stopped or moving. In fact, the slower one drives, the larger the effect of cabin heating on efficiency. Say the heater draws 6kW. Over an hour it's used 6 kWh. If you drove at 30mph for that hour, the motor used about 175Wh/mi or 5kWh in the same time. So the heater took more than the motor did, and your range would have been cut by more than half. If you drove 55mph instead, your motor used about 250Wh/mi or about 14kWh in an hour, so your range would have been cut by only a third.

2. Honestly I think the degree of range loss in very cold weather is similar whether or not the car is left on plug to keep TMS active. My amateur understanding is that TMS isn't there to improve or maximize cold/hot weather range. It's there to maximize battery lifespan. These might seem related, but they're really not. In cold weather, TMS only keeps the battery warm enough to be able to charge safely- if charging is attempted on very cold batteries, they can be permanently damaged. In hot weather, TMS only keeps battery cool enough to charge safely- if battery gets too warm, it ages prematurely and range degradation is accelerated. So I'm not sure why the AAA and / or USA Today would be surprised that cars with TMS feature are affected as much by cold as those without.

dmen said:
So I'm not sure why the AAA and / or USA Today would be surprised that cars with TMS feature are affected as much by cold as those without.
Probably because they don't understand it as well as you do. But, that's not their job. Oh wait.. yes it is. :)

Back