A Few Suggestions ...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEGuy

I have a 2013 Focus Electric, built 3/13, Software version 4.29. It is an amazing machine, and I am still learning its features. I have several suggestions on common sense improvements, which I hope will be of interest to Ford and forum readers:

Charge % Display - Ford's Range Estimate is a good attempt at forecasting remaining range based on driving habits. However, it is greatly influenced by recent patterns, such as going up and down hills, leading to dubious predictions. For those of us with regular commuting destinations, per cent battery charge is a better measure for gauging range. This can be seen roughly on the Message Center battery "thermometer" display, but it is actually available as a number in the "My GO Time" screen, lost among all the "value charge" settings.

Request: Make the numerical Charge % available on the Message Center, perhaps as a footnote item.

Daytime Running Lights - These are a valuable safety feature in all but bright sunlight, though they do use some power. The FFE already has an automatic light sensor to turn on the headlights in the dark.

Request: Make the darkness sensor driver-adjustable so that it could be set to come on in overcast, low light conditions if desired. This would essentially give daytime running lights, while saving power in bright sunlight conditions.

Fresh Air - It is silly to have to open windows for fresh air or to clear the windshield. This is noisy and increases aerodynamic drag.

Request: Provide a straightforward way to set the cabin fan to bring outside air to the vents or to clear the windshield without using power for heating or cooling.

Charging - The preoccupation with Range Anxiety and Fast Charging is getting tiresome. EVs are not universal, long distance cars, and pretending that they are can only lead to abuse and disappointment. Many of us who use our EVs within their capabilities are more interested in taking good care of the Lithium Ion battery. The way to do this is with slow overnight charging at home, possibly to slightly less than full charge. Level 1, 120 volt charging stations are a means to do this, but the FFE limits the 120 volt charge current to 12 amps (1.4 KW) which is sometimes not quite enough for an overnight charge. Clipper Creek sells 16 amp and 20 amp Level 1 charging stations, which would be ideal if the FFE would accept the increased current. It is also well known that Lithium Ion batteries are not happy when kept at full charge for long periods of time. Ford has apparently built some safety margin into the full charge voltage, but some owners might choose to improve on this. (The Nissan Leaf offers an optional 80% charge limit.)

Request: Upgrade the FFE onboard charger to accept up to 20 amps of 120 volt power. Better yet, make both Level 1 and Level 2 charging rates adjustable as part of the "My GO Time" screen, as well as adding selections for the full charge level, down to 80% charge.

Thanks for listening !

Good suggestions, FFEGuy. Let's hope Ford will hear you.

In the meantime, I have a couple workarounds for you:

FFEGuy said:
Request: Make the numerical Charge % available on the Message Center, perhaps as a footnote item.
The MFT 3.5 software (which apparently is available now for some FFEs; contact your dealer) includes new screens which display battery percentage, energy flow, and allow full editing of value charge settings and Go Times directly from the MFT screen.

You can check out the new screens in this Ford video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOixDw4_cc

FFEGuy said:
Request: Make the darkness sensor driver-adjustable so that it could be set to come on in overcast, low light conditions if desired. This would essentially give daytime running lights, while saving power in bright sunlight conditions.
You can kind of "hack" this yourself now by partially covering the light sensor with something opaque (perhaps black electrical tape). For example, if you cover up half of the sensor, it will probably become roughly that much less sensitive to light, and thus turn the headlights on earlier in the day.

The light sensor is located at the very front-center of the dash. It's that square black "nub" you see there.

FFEGuy said:
Request: Upgrade the FFE onboard charger to accept up to 20 amps of 120 volt power. Better yet, make both Level 1 and Level 2 charging rates adjustable as part of the "My GO Time" screen, as well as adding selections for the full charge level, down to 80% charge.
What evidence do have that the FFE doesn't use the maximum power level (up to 240V @ 27.5A = 6.6 kW) advertised by the EVSE, be it Level 1 or Level 2?

The Level 1 OEM device included with the car operates at 120V @ 12A, but other Level 1 devices can operate at higher power levels (as you've noted). EVSEs advertise their maximum level to the connected vehicle. Are you saying the FFE is purposely limited to using 12A with any Level 1 connection, no matter the advertised maximum?

Is anybody else out there using a more powerful Level 1 device, such as the ClipperCreek ACS-20, to achieve shorter 120V charge times versus the OEM device? The ACS-20 delivers about 1.9 kW and should be able to refill an empty FFE in somewhere under 13 hours.

Thank you for your suggestions, WattsUp. I will try some sort of mask to fool the headlight sensor.

The information that the FFE doesn't use the maximum power advertised by an EVSE comes from Will Barrett at Clipper Creek, who is very helpful. Before I bought my ACS-20 EVSE from him, he tested one with an FFE to see if it would draw the available 16 amps. Unfortunately, the answer was no, it only used a little under 12 amps. He went on to say that the only EV he knew of that could accept more than 12 amps of level 1 is the Tesla.

I can think of two possible reasons for this limitation. It may just be a software limit aimed at not tripping circuit breakers in the average home. Or, it could be a real hardware limit of the FFE voltage step-up circuitry that converts the 120V AC to approximately 400 V DC for the high voltage Lithium Ion battery. If it is a software limit, giving us optional limit settings would be very helpful, as it would enable dependable overnight slow charging with the 120 volt ACS-20 and ACS-25 EVSEs hard-wired to a dedicated circuit breaker.

To get fresh air through the vents, it would be great have a single button or a single Sync voice command. However, without that feature, it's still pretty easy:
Turn the temp setting to LO, A/C to off.
You can use the big fan/ small fan buttons to dial in the fan speed to your liking, if auto speed is too annoying. You can use the floor/dash/defrost vent buttons to decide where the vent air comes out. When it comes out of the defrost vents, it also comes out on the sides of the dash so as to defrost driver/front passenger side windows, but it doesn't do a great job unless fan is cranked up.

Keep in mind that if you select "windshield / defrost" mode, or any other mode that includes the windshield defroster air, then the AC Compressor may come on to dehumidify the air, to avoid fogging the windshield.

T-dot said:
Keep in mind that if you select "windshield / defrost" mode, or any other mode that includes the windshield defroster air, then the AC Compressor may come on to dehumidify the air, to avoid fogging the windshield.
I've noticed this too... though it doesn't cause the "AC on" indicator to light up on the climate controls. Personally, I think it should. I've seen it work this way in other cars.

You will, however, notice that the "Climate" energy meter rise just as when you manually turn on AC.

WattsUp said:
T-dot said:
I've noticed this too... though it doesn't cause the "AC on" indicator to light up on the climate controls. Personally, I think it should. I've seen it work this way in other cars.

You will, however, notice that the "Climate" energy meter rise just as when you manually turn on AC.

This behavior is common to all of our Ford vehicles: The A/C indicator does not light when in defrost mode but it does use it.

jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
it doesn't cause the "AC on" indicator to light up on the climate controls. Personally, I think it should. I've seen it work this way in other cars.
This behavior is common to all of our Ford vehicles: The A/C indicator does not light when in defrost mode but it does use it.
Guess it's a Ford thing then. My Honda shows A/C is on when you activate the windshield defogger.

I guess its fine with ICE vehicles to "hide" when the A/C might be on, but for EVs it seems a little more vital to communicate usage of A/C. 'Course, part of what makes the FFE so good is the re-use of all the standard Focus parts and systems, so we can't complain too much.

Back