A Different Kind Of Range Extender

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJohnson

About a week ago, I read an article similar to this one (http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/11/range-extending-trailer-charges-your-ev-carries-your-gear/) and can't get the idea out of my head. I figure I would pay around $5k for something like this concept to have the option to drive my EV on a trip when I wanted to. I think just a basic two-wheel trailer with a gas powered generator would be adequate. I can't see it weighing more than 500-600 lbs, if it was done right. The generator would run while you're driving to charge the batteries. I know the idea of burning gas to charge the batteries goes against the whole idea of EVs, but until the infrastructure and battery technology advances, this may be a temporary solution. What do you guys think? Who would pay extra (and how much) to hook up a small trailer and take your EV on a long trip?

That concept would be an awesome rental unit, but not to buy. It also highlights an aparent gap in the market of larger EV vehicles. Heck, I would love to rent additional modular batteries just for the day or weekend sometimes.

I agree that an extra battery pack would be nice, but that would only give you another 80 miles of range. Plus, would you carry them (600 lbs) with you or expect to stop every hour and half to swap them out at a 'service station'? The reason the idea of the trailer was so appealing to me was that you could travel just like a regular car and fill-up with gas for the generator every 300 miles. The generator would need to put out the 6.6 kW at 220V in order to make this work the best. Maybe, a portable electric welder/generator unit would work. I don't know if a rental would make a good business case (but it might) because each electric car would likely have different requirements for wiring, voltage, etc. All I know is that I'd like to take my FFE on trips up to 200 miles, but rarely any trips are longer than that.

David, It was worth reading the article, there are some subtle things about that trailer. At first I thought, crazy idea, why? After reading the article, it makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of technology, legal, and liability hurdles, but theoretically it is cool. Maybe even a better idea than plug in hybrids.

In the meantime, rent a car for longer trips.

Back