$750 off a solar system from Ford & Sunpower

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be a drop in the bucket of an overall cost. If you are interested in Solar, check to see what sort of rebates or incentives your state may offer.

I installed a 4.2Kw system last fall. It cost about $25,000. I got a 30% tax incentive from the feds ($7,500). Minnesota has a production credit of $.29 per KwH for 10 years. With my project production I will get about $1500 per year (about $15,000 over the 10 years of the credit. With all the incentives my cost will be only $2,500... unfortunately my out of pocket expense upfront was $25K. If you need to finance it the cost can rise quickly.

It is nice to know I offset all my car plus about half my household electricity with solar. Carbon free driving :)

There is also a wind program through the utility to offset your car with wind, which is actually blowing when you are charging the car unlike the solar :(. This is very popular amounst the EV owners in the state.

There are also "solar gardens" which are larger scale projects where you buy a 20 year substription for solar power offsets on your power bill. A nice way to get solar if you don't own the roof over your head. The downside is you are often dropped just when the power is becoming free(after paying of the long term loans that are financing the project). I feel the "owners" are going to be laughing to the bank in twenty years when they are still getting residuals on the system the subscribers "bought".

David

MNEV said:
I installed a 4.2Kw system last fall. It cost about $25,000. I got a 30% tax incentive from the feds ($7,500). Minnesota has a production credit of $.29 per KwH for 10 years. With my project production I will get about $1500 per year (about $15,000 over the 10 years of the credit. With all the incentives my cost will be only $2,500... unfortunately my out of pocket expense upfront was $25K. If you need to finance it the cost can rise quickly.
Very cool. Is the federal tax credit similar to the EV credit in that it's a credit, not a rebate? So you must have at least as much tax liability as the credit amount? My parents have considered solar.

Back