2017 Focus electric 100-Mile Range, DC Fast Charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awefulspeller said:
Good point. Ford is a bunch of followers, like sheep.
Mmm, yes, yes... precisely the reason Ford was one of the first American auto manufacturers with a pure EV.

(Sure, it was for mostly compliance, as most other than Tesla are, but Ford was one of the first to dip their toe in the EV market.)

I agree with Watts Up. Followers not the term I would use. They are leaders in the PHEV field, although I don't agree with that approach. I prefer BEV or ERV.

I wish they would become leaders in BEV (like Nissan and Tesla) and/or leaders in ERV (like Chevy and BMW)

If it were 200+ miles, it would be great. 100 miles to me just means I'll probably get 75-80. I make frequent trips up to Irvine,CA and it's about a 65 mile trip one way. I know a few charging stations at malls and grocery stores, plus the office I visit has a few charging stations. And even though I can get validated parking, that ChargePoint costs me about $10 to charge every time. $10 for 65 miles is far more than gas would cost.

I know I really cant' go beyond 60MPH most of the way(and there are no real alternative routes due to a Marine base), so if I'm getting about 65 miles now most of the time, and sometimes less if there are no traffic jams along the way, 100 miles just means 75-85 most of the time for me. There really is no point to upgrade, probably for a few more bucks at that, for 75-85 miles. Now if I could get around 175-185 miles(based on some 200 Mile claim), I would definitely be all for it.

But that range anxiety pretty much exists every time i drive this car because it's been towed multiple times and it pretty much lasts about 65 miles half the places I drive. 85 miles would just mean a little less worry, but not really worth it. I'll just wait for one of the other 200 mile cars to come out.

pjam3 said:
If it were 200+ miles, it would be great. 100 miles to me just means I'll probably get 75-80. I make frequent trips up to Irvine,CA and it's about a 65 mile trip one way. I know a few charging stations at malls and grocery stores, plus the office I visit has a few charging stations. And even though I can get validated parking, that ChargePoint costs me about $10 to charge every time. $10 for 65 miles is far more than gas would cost.

I know I really cant' go beyond 60MPH most of the way(and there are no real alternative routes due to a Marine base), so if I'm getting about 65 miles now most of the time, and sometimes less if there are no traffic jams along the way, 100 miles just means 75-85 most of the time for me. There really is no point to upgrade, probably for a few more bucks at that, for 75-85 miles. Now if I could get around 175-185 miles(based on some 200 Mile claim), I would definitely be all for it.

But that range anxiety pretty much exists every time i drive this car because it's been towed multiple times and it pretty much lasts about 65 miles half the places I drive. 85 miles would just mean a little less worry, but not really worth it. I'll just wait for one of the other 200 mile cars to come out.

you need the i3 with the range extender or a volt

I didn't really like the i3 or the i8. It's different, but I like never having to go to the gas station. I tested the Volt and just found it to be blah. I am interested in their Spark or whatever though. I did put a down payment on a Model S, but changed my mind plus some cryptocurrency coins lost value and it changed the dynamic.

I did need to rent a SUV to drive up to Venice Beach and Santa Monica a month ago and I have to rent cars now and again when I travel, and I really just drop it off and have them fill up the tank. Nothing against gas stations, but it's become rather nice never having to go to a gas station or worry about that.

I will say this though, SDG&E has changed things up a bit. I just plug my car in at night and it used to take about 8.5 hours to fully charge, if around 0-10 mile estimate. That was fine as I'd plug it in around 10pm, not get hit with the other tier charges and by the time I had to take kids to school, it was fully charged. But over the past few months, it sometimes takes like 12 hours to charge the car and my electric bill has increased. I know SDG&E cut some tiers and increased rates, but doing the same thing it's pretty much gone from 8.5 hours to 12 hours on many days. I spoke to them and all they told me was to charge at different times of day.

They are also going after Solar too, so some of these utility companies are not huge supporters of EV or Solar power, and even are trying to find ways to increase all rates to screw people over.

https://milhollandelectric.com/services/stop-sdge/#.Vm8IwxqDGko

I thought about the 100-mile range capacity a bit more and am conceded.

First off, the FFE is attractive because it looks like a normal car and has all the great features of an electric vehicle. The new Volt, Model 3 and BMWi3 are all very odd looking vehicles.

People do not buy electric vehicles as their primary car. Even if there was an EV which got 400-miles per charge, unless there are as many electric charge stations as there are gas stations, and the charge could be replenished in the same amount of time it takes to fill up...people aren't going to give up their gas cars.

100-miles with DC fast charge is just about right. Customers will always demand more. No matter what the cost, I think Ford should offer upgrades to the vehicles they sell. Maybe someone doesn't have $25,000 for a new car, but they have $10,000 for a nice upgrade. It would be revolutionary to the industry. Not sure if it would be profitable though.

jmueller065 said:
awefulspeller said:
The new Volt
Actually take a close look at the new Volt; its closer looking to its platform cousin (the Cruze) than the previous generation.

There's also the Kia Soul EV, Honda FIT EV, Chevy Spark EV, and VW Golf EV, which are barely distinguishable from their gas only siblings.

pjam3 said:
I will say this though, SDG&E has changed things up a bit. [...]That was fine as I'd plug it in around 10pm, not get hit with the other tier charges and [...] I know SDG&E cut some tiers and increased rates, [...] They are also going after Solar too, so some of these utility companies are not huge supporters of EV or Solar power, and even are trying to find ways to increase all rates to screw people over.
https://milhollandelectric.com/services/stop-sdge/#.Vm8IwxqDGko
Sorry to say, I agree with this part of that message. Have recently been hit by PG&E, which eliminated the nice electric billing plan (E-7) that has worked here for some years: perhaps it was too nice for customers, and costly for the company. That old plan was a simple 2-rate plan: peak cost for 6 hours, much less for the rest of the day, and no "tiers". Now, 3 different cost times, and too many tiers to grasp.
Yes, I have solar on my roof (so get paid when it makes more than I use), but the system is much more complex, less person-friendly than it was a month ago, and overall much more costly.
What is "our" independent oversight agency doing lately?

awefulspeller said:
100-miles with DC fast charge is just about right.

100 mile is just about right if that is the minimum... But it will be much less is cold weather in Minnesota. If I use the heater liberally on a cold day I will get less than 40 miles. A 25% boost will still force a lot of winter comprises between comfort and range. This just should not be necessary. They really need to get it up to 150 or so in cold climates (which would give you something equivalent to the summer range of the current FFE, which I am very comfortable with) to be worry free on a day-to-day basis.

200 miles even without DCFC is way more useful than 100 miles with.

Like MNEV said, the 100 mile car is really a 40 mile car in the winter (especially with the wasteful resistive heater) and after three years of battery fade.

After all these years, Ford should have made the FFE a 150 mile car at the very minimum, and even that won't sell once the Bolt and new Leaf become available.

Back