2014 Ford FOCUS EV- 12 Volt Battery Dead

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptownraider12

I've owned Car since October 2013, only issue 12 volt Battery has been going Dead? I checked Voltage when Dead, goes to 3.4 Volts - so you have to use Key to get into Vehilce since nothing works, I slowly charge at 6 Amps for a few hours, all good after that. I'm bring it in Thursday the13th for Recall's and have this Electrical problem looked at. I haven't been stranded yet since I have Other Ford Vehicles to drive....... :?:

There are a few threads of conversation around here about 12V batteries drained or dying:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1662
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1421
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1377
Search around first you may find something...
(the above are only a few..there are more)

ptownraider12 said:
I've owned Car since October 2013, only issue 12 volt Battery has been going Dead? I checked Voltage when Dead, goes to 3.4 Volts - so you have to use Key to get into Vehilce since nothing works, I slowly charge at 6 Amps for a few hours, all good after that. I'm bring it in Thursday the13th for Recall's and have this Electrical problem looked at. I haven't been stranded yet since I have Other Ford Vehicles to drive....... :?:
In an emergency, you can also "jump start" the FFE (just like any other car) and everything should be fine for driving so long as the car stays on. If you are unsure about the procedure, there are instructions in the owner's manual, but they seem pretty conventional. However, depending on what's happened, the 12V battery may still need additional charge or replacement.

Less than 3 weeks after getting my FFE i got the "Your 12 volt battery is low. Please plug the vehicle in." text message while on day 2 of a 4 day trip. I am a pilot. The car was at the airport crew lot. I got back to the car on day 4 and as i thought the car was dead. Used the mechanical key within the key fob to unlock. My biggest issue was I had cars on all sides of me so it was not easy to position a car to jump start it. Because the 12volt battery was dead and the car has no transmission you cannot just put the car in neutral and push it back out of the parking space. Ended up putting 2 sets of jumper cables together and was able to jump it with no problem. I found I had left my lights in the parking lamps position (1st position right of off). I would imagine that is what caused it to go dead. I am very surprised that it does not have an automatic shutoff feature.

Just thought id share.

Rob

Sorry to hear your battery died. My son killed the battery in the Focus ICE a couple of times - he hit the headlight switch with his knee. We are all much more aware of what that crazy bell noise is - the headlights are on.

There is a slightly complicated way to get the car in neutral. It is described in detail in the owner's manual. You have to pop off a panel on the right side of the console and put a screw driver (or a key) into a slot. The car will then go into neutral. I've done it two times. It isn't fun, but you can get there.

EVA said:
Sorry to hear your battery died. My son killed the battery in the Focus ICE a couple of times - he hit the headlight switch with his knee. We are all much more aware of what that crazy bell noise is - the headlights are on.

There is a slightly complicated way to get the car in neutral. It is described in detail in the owner's manual. You have to pop off a panel on the right side of the console and put a screw driver (or a key) into a slot. The car will then go into neutral. I've done it two times. It isn't fun, but you can get there.
When I first got the car, I was constantly hitting the light control with my knee while exiting. :| Got used to the chime just like you mentioned.

sefs said:
EVA said:
he hit the headlight switch with his knee.
When I first got the car, I was constantly hitting the light control with my knee while exiting.
Geez, what are you people eating? Are you giants? I'm imagining you all hunched over inside the car, door barely able to be closed, left arm hanging out, knuckles dragging on the street. ;)

WattsUp said:
Geez, what are you people eating? Are you giants? I'm imagining you all hunched over inside the car, door barely able to be closed, left arm hanging out, knuckles dragging on the street. ;)
I'm not trying to interfere with this elegant image of colossal EV monsters, but I can attest that after my teenage daughter drives the car, my knees are up around my nose. (I really do miss seat, tilt steering and mirror memory settings....)

EVA said:

Very helpful. Thanks EVA. I have not zeroed in on the crazy bell noise yet. Gotta pay attention. I guess just like most cars
if you leave the lights on when you leave for 4 days you are going to have a dead battery when get back.

WattsUp said:
sefs said:
EVA said:
he hit the headlight switch with his knee.
When I first got the car, I was constantly hitting the light control with my knee while exiting.

You saw a picture of us!!!! Nicely done WattsUp.

I notice that there is a headlight delay/off function on the 2014's. Apparently ford really is paying attention.

Zurc

Back