12 volt battery dead

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmager

I love my FFE, when it's working. In the three months I have had the FFE, it has been to the dealer three times, all for the same problem; dead 12 volt battery. The car will be doing just great, and then, when I start the car, I'll first get an inquiry on the left hand display asking if the car is plugged in. After I toggle no, it will start. Then I'll notice the charge ring outside will start flashing on and off when the car is parked. After a day of this, the car will not start. The screens are all dark and nothing will work. The car can't even shift out of park to be able to tow. The 12 volt battery is dead. A jump from the tow truck allowed the car to be started, moved to be able to be towed (I wasn't going to risk driving on the freeway not knowing if the car would keep going). The dealer is almost clueless. The first time, they didn't do anything because it hadn't died yet. We took it in because of a warning light and we were just worried about the flashing lights. The dealer kept it for a few days, and couldn't figure it out. It died later that day after we picked it up. Then they replaced the battery. A month later, the car died again and the dealer has it. They have no idea as of now. Anybody else run into this problem?

One of the charging port pins is the proximity. The function of this pin is to sense the car is plugged in. For some reason the car thinks it’s plugged in. Take a DC volt meter and measure the voltage to frame of the car. It should be 0 volts when not plugged in. A voltage level higher than this would tell the car that it’s plugged in. When the charger is plugged in it supplies a DC voltage level to this pin letting it know it’s plugged in.
Tracing the orange cable it comes from the charging port into the engine compartment. It then passes threw a four wire connector. The cable then joins other orange wires and heads under the car towards the rear. It most likely ends up at the cars on board charger. This area is most likely were the problem is.

jeffand said:
One of the charging port pins is the proximity. The function of this pin is to sense the car is plugged in. For some reason the car thinks it’s plugged in. Take a DC volt meter and measure the voltage to frame of the car. It should be 0 volts when not plugged in. A voltage level higher than this would tell the car that it’s plugged in. When the charger is plugged in it supplies a DC voltage level to this pin letting it know it’s plugged in.
Tracing the orange cable it comes from the charging port into the engine compartment. It then passes threw a four wire connector. The cable then joins other orange wires and heads under the car towards the rear. It most likely ends up at the cars on board charger. This area is most likely were the problem is.

Holy crap, that's super smart. I bet that's definitely his problem. Why wouldn't the service department check that?

I forwarded this to the service dept. We'll see if they actually take your advice and check that. I'll keep you posted. Thanks mate.

Back