10,000 Mile Service

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10,000 mile service:

-Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
-Inspect cabin air filter
-Inspect cooling system and hoses
-Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
-Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
-Perform multi-point inspection

I'd just rotate the tires. A typical "oil change" service center will usually do all of these inspection items when the do the typical Oil Change and Tire rotation (about $30 around me). Just get that, without the Oil Change, of course!

As far as "inspecting the cabin filter", a waste of labor. If you're gonna spend the time to contort yourself to get it out, you may as well pop a new one in there. I'd just replace at 20,000.

I think the only real maintenance item listed in the owners manual is to change the coolant at 100,000 miles.

With any complicated piece of new machinery, it is good to do a general inspection after a short period of service to make certain all the bolts were properly torqued, wiring harnesses secured, etc. It is very common in manufacturing operations. So if someone is properly doing the mechanical inspections listed, it is a good idea. But I think that is a big if.

I'll guess that dealers are not going to be happy as they find that electric cars don't need the usual rounds of fluid changes, filters and spark plugs that keep their service bays full.

kalel14 said:
I think the only real maintenance item listed in the owners manual is to change the coolant at 100,000 miles.
My manual says:

"At 10 years or 150,000 miles, Change coolant and coolant filter."

And, specifically, the coolant referred to is the coolant that circulates around the high-voltage battery packs, to either cool or heat them. This coolant doesn't get very hot (maybe somewhat higher than ambient external temperature, at the maximum) which is probably why it lasts so long.

This is unlike a regular car, where the primary coolant (circulating around the engine) routinely gets very, very hot, and where the recommendation may be to change it as frequently as every 30,000 miles, as it may degrade.

My 10k and 20k "services" were just the tire rotation. $15 at the Ford dealership.

Of course they tried to bill me for an oil change, and got livid when I argued about it.
And tried to tell me a whine from a fan relay was actually my "eCVT preparing to work."
So, uh, don't let them lie to you and try to upsell anything.

Back