An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:39 pm 

I lost one of my keys, so I only have one.
I asked the dealer how much it would be to replace and they quoted me $400. Which is INSANE, right?
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to replace a key without paying so much???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm 

I think I've seen people post before that it cost them in the neighborhood of $250. I want to say the key was like $120ish and they charge 45min to an hour of labor because they have to hook up the car to their computer and then "pair" all the key fobs you have to your car. They will need both of your fobs because the process wipes out all keys that are "paired" to the vehicle. Some of the cars you can program a 3rd fob if you have 2. I tried to do this only to find out at after buying a spare fob from ebay that on the '14 and earlier it's impossible for an owner to program a 3rd key. I don't know about the newer ones. Anyway that's useless for you anyway since you only have 1 key. FORScan had the ability to program keys on earlier Fords. Might be worth checking if they've updated the software to allow programming fobs for our FFEs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm 

Thanks. They said that the new fob is a couple hundred, and since I don't have two keys, they have to reprogram them both and set the car to recognize it. And that's why it's $400 instead of $200. I'll call a locksmith to see if that's something they can do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:55 pm 

ajolley wrote:
Thanks. They said that the new fob is a couple hundred, and since I don't have two keys, they have to reprogram them both and set the car to recognize it. And that's why it's $400 instead of $200. I'll call a locksmith to see if that's something they can do.

A good locksmith can do this for you. We needed a replacement proximity key / fob for our Nissan, and the locksmith did it for under $200, including hardware, cutting the blade, and re-programming the existing key.

Keith